This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2141 / 56°12'50"N
Longitude: -3.047 / 3°2'49"W
OS Eastings: 335158
OS Northings: 702882
OS Grid: NO351028
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.DKDK
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.529J
Entry Name: Kennoway Village, Cupar Road, Hawfield House with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 27 June 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342399
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10005
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1800, possibly incorporating earlier fabric (see Notes); W wing circa 1875. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan former manse. Squared red whinstone rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings, raised quoins and margins; random rubble to sides and rear. Eaves lintel course.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 6-panelled timber door with plate fanlight to centre bay at ground, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor. Slightly recessed single storey bay with window to outer right, and slightly advanced single storey gabled bay with window to outer left.
N ELEVATION: window to each outer bay at ground, and tiny opening off-centre right; stair window to centre, and 2 modern rooflights to right.
E ELEVATION: single storey extension with garage door, and window to right at 1st floor.
2-, 4- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans, ashlar-coped skews with ropework-moulded scroll skewputts.
INTERIOR: moulded cornicing, panelled timber shutters and doors. Fine classically-detailed carved timber fireplaces. 1st floor drawing room with decorative classical plasterwork to sideboard arch. Etched glass to stair window.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble boundary walls with pyramidally-coped square-section gatepiers.
Formerly the Arnot Manse, Hawfield House was sold to a private buyer in 1975 after being empty for some while. Meetings were held at 'Haw Field' after the original Secession of 1733. The land was purchased in 1749 (or 59), with work on the original church commencing in 1761. The present owner has old documents and believes the manse to have been started in 1763 which the rear elevation would substantiate. However, the current church is dated 1800 and this coincides with the building style of the principal elevation of the former manse.
Other nearby listed buildings