This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2091 / 56°12'32"N
Longitude: -3.0491 / 3°2'56"W
OS Eastings: 335023
OS Northings: 702325
OS Grid: NO350023
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.DYRB
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.46BD
Entry Name: Kennoway Village, the Causeway (East Side), Old Kennoway Churchyard with Old Session Room and Watch House, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 27 June 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342409
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10015
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Robert Hutchison, 1835. Single storey, slated, bow-ended watch house with session room, and 17th century cemetery
WATCH HOUSE: rubble with droved quoins. Bowed end with boarded timber door to N, blank gabled bay to S; 2 boarded windows on E elevation, adjoining rubble boundary wall and with full-height stack breaking eaves at centre to W.
CEMETERY: 17th century and later. Variety of moulded pedimented stones including that to 'John Fleeming once tenant of Treetoun' (died 1772) and Magaret Bouge his spouse. Corniced ashlar and snecked rubble burial enclosure with hooped ironwork to W, containing memorials to Lundins of Auchtermairnie, including that to Richard Lundin (1791-1832) on console; and to Euphemia, Elizabeth and Emilia Rachel. Harled gable of Fernbank (listed separately) with 3 inset stones, that projecting to left pilastered and pedimented with cartouche in tympanum, and further set-back pediment over with heavily carved fruit flanking monogram at apex. Eroded tablestone with skull and crossed bones on moulded legs.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: high rubble boundary walls with flat-coped, square-section, droved ashlar gatepiers and decorative cast-iron gates.
St Kenneth's Parish Church, a reconstruction of 1619, was demolished in 1849 and the new Parish Church sited in Cupar Road. St Kenneth is attributed with first preaching Christianity in Fife, and The Causeway churchyard is thought to have been the site of his cell.
Other nearby listed buildings