History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Half Morton Parish Church and Churchyard

A Category C Listed Building in Annandale East and Eskdale, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0597 / 55°3'35"N

Longitude: -3.0655 / 3°3'55"W

OS Eastings: 332040

OS Northings: 574435

OS Grid: NY320744

Mapcode National: GBR 791Y.41

Mapcode Global: WH6Y3.W2FZ

Entry Name: Half Morton Parish Church and Churchyard

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342483

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10083

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Half Morton

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale East and Eskdale

Parish: Half Morton

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Canonbie

Description

Probably 1744; 4-bay church, repaired and enlarged circa 1795

(?addition of N jamb); all heightened several masonry

courses, perhaps 1830; renovated 1889. Rubble-built with

ashlar dressings, S elevation and E gable rendered. Splayed

base course to body of church. 4 pointed windows (?1889) to

long S wall and eaves moulding; gabled porch at E with iron

cresting, shouldered S-facing door; vestry adjoins W gable.

Unusual birdcage belfry (?1889) over E gable. Roofed with

graded slates. Boiler room in NW re-entrant angle demolished

circa 1985 exposing blocked square-headed window on jamb W

wall; N gable window of jamb originally a door.

Interior: plaster-vaulted roof; panelled timber pulpit

central on long S wall.

CHURCHYARD: quadrangular enclosure, with rubble-built partly ashlar-coped walls, extended to S in 20th century; plain

gatepiers (wrought-iron gates) and stile at E. Mostly 18th

and 19th century stone monuments, some with classical

ornament.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. FASTII ECCLESSIAE

SCOTICANAE states that the church was "rebuilt about 1703",

but no primary source is quoted either by Fastii or by Groome

or Hay. OSA report (Langholm) states that "It is soon ....

to be repaired and enlarged".

Change of Category B to C(S) 30.9.87

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.