History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holywood Parish Church and Churchyard

A Category B Listed Building in Holywood, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1003 / 55°6'0"N

Longitude: -3.6393 / 3°38'21"W

OS Eastings: 295495

OS Northings: 579655

OS Grid: NX954796

Mapcode National: GBR 390G.WH

Mapcode Global: WH5WJ.228D

Entry Name: Holywood Parish Church and Churchyard

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342621

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10209

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Holywood

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Lochar

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Holywood

Description

Built 1779. T-plan church with central tall 3-stage square
tower on long south wall. Repaired and renovated 1845 and
1864-5. Coursed and squared red rubble with ashlar
dressings. South elevation: tower has square-headed openings,
lower stage originally with door at ground, now blocked, 1
window above; 2 openings vertically arranged in 2nd stage;
forestair in re-entrant angle; top stage (possibly 1864-5)
has louvred belfry opening with central column to each face,
and pierced parapet: 2 tall, round-arched and keystoned
windows either side of tower gabled porch on east and west
flanks: 2-bay jamb (with late 19th century addition) has
round-headed gallery windows above 12-pane sashes. Piended
roofs with graded slates. Interior: gallery sealed up to form
hall; organ with carved case; flat ceiling, with roof timbers
on brackets; acorn light hanging.
Irregular-plan churchyard enclosure, rubble-built
ashlar-coped walls; gate to west, 2 octagonal rusticated
ashlar gatepiers, hearse-house alongside, and stile. Some
good 18th and 19th century stone monuments: Classical
mausoleum at north west built of ashlar with stone slab roof,
door with battered jambs central on pedimented east gable,
pilasters divide bays: Renaissance-style Johnstone of Cowhill
mural monument.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Bells noted in RCAHM

INVENTORY, 1920, no. 285.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.