History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirkton Village Kirkmahoe Parish Church, Churchyard and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Lochar, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1175 / 55°7'3"N

Longitude: -3.6094 / 3°36'33"W

OS Eastings: 297452

OS Northings: 581531

OS Grid: NX974815

Mapcode National: GBR 3978.C9

Mapcode Global: WH5WB.JMHP

Entry Name: Kirkton Village Kirkmahoe Parish Church, Churchyard and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342685

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10260

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkmahoe

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Lochar

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Amisfield Town

Description

Probably Walter Newall of Dumfries, architect. Built 1822-3;

some internal re-ordering presumably by James Barbour of

Dumfries circa 1889. Rectangular-plan, 3-bay Gothic church,

with 3-stage square tower at west gable, gabled vestry added

to inner bay of south wall. Stugged red ashlar coursers, with

polished dressings. All openings hood-moulded. Tower has

Tudor-arched door facing west; other openings all geometric

traceried, louvered at upper stage; strings at cill levels,

diagonal buttresses, stepped at each stage, with pinnacles

rising above crenellated parapet. 2 buttressed and pinnacled, Tudor-arched and gabled shallow porches on cross-finialed

east gable flanking large perpendicular- traceried window;

also quatrefoil and cross openings. Diagonal buttresses with

pinnacles reaching above eaves. Perpendicular-traceried

windows to buttressed north and south elevation bays. Eaves

band; slate roof. Vestry also has diagonal buttresses, and

pointed window facing south; modern addition in west re-

entrant angle. Interior: octagonal pulpit with canopy to

north of east window; leaded east window; pews have panelled

backs; ceiling has simple ribs; modern organ gallery on west

wall.

Ashlar-coped rubble-built wall encloses churchyard; square

gatepiers with domed caps; hearse house to south. Some 18th-

19th century monuments with good classical ornament.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.