History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirkpatrick Irongray Parish Church and Churchyard

A Category B Listed Building in Castle Douglas and Crocketford, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0987 / 55°5'55"N

Longitude: -3.7017 / 3°42'6"W

OS Eastings: 291512

OS Northings: 579570

OS Grid: NX915795

Mapcode National: GBR 29LH.D2

Mapcode Global: WH5WH.33KM

Entry Name: Kirkpatrick Irongray Parish Church and Churchyard

Listing Date: 4 November 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342801

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10364

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkpatrick Irongray

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford

Parish: Kirkpatrick Irongray

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Holywood

Description

James Barbour of Dumfries, architect, 1872-3, incorporating rectangular-plan 1803 church by John MacCracken of Dumfries

Romanesque style church, with 3-stage square entrance tower

at south west. White washed rubble with red ashlar dressings. Round-headed openings, arches mostly with chevron ornament,

columned jambs or mullions with cushion or scalloped capital

Tower: south-facing doorway (lean-to vestry in north re-

entrant angle) off-set top stage with louvred belfry opening

in round arched panel to each face. Bipartites to 3-bay nave

and 3-light wall head gable window westmost bay of either

long elevation. Porch on east gable with gabled south-facing

doorway. Saw-toothed skews; apex ventilator with parabolical

roof; roofed with graded slates.

Interior: leaded glass windows 1873-1960; west window by

Stephen Adam, circa 1904; open timbered roof on stone

corbels; round arched blind panel at west end; pulpit

alongside and dado all modern. Irregular-plan churchyard

enclosure, rubble-built walls, ashlar coping; plain

chamfered square gatepiers with pyramidal caps - wrought-

iron gates presented circa 1961. Some fine 17th-19th century

stone monument including that of Helen Walker, prototype of

"Jeanie Deans", erected by Sir Walter Scott.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical Building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.