This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7855 / 55°47'7"N
Longitude: -2.1841 / 2°11'2"W
OS Eastings: 388550
OS Northings: 654697
OS Grid: NT885546
Mapcode National: GBR F15J.YX
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.FV55
Entry Name: Hutton Castle, West Lodge Including Boundary Railings
Listing Date: 29 May 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342995
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10525
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Circa 1876. Asymmetrical, 2-storey, 3-bay, near T-plan, substantial crowstepped gate lodge with verandah to front; single storey wing at rear. Coursed and droved pink sandstone to front; squared and snecked, tooled pink sandstone to sides and rear; ashlar dressings throughout. Base course; moulded eaves course. Rusticated quoins and long and short surrounds to stop-chamfered openings; sandstone mullions; projecting cills.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical. Projecting crowstepped gable at centre with 4-light canted window centred at ground; bipartite window at 1st floor; tooled, rectangular-plan panel aligned in gablehead. Lean-to verandah recessed to left with timber panelled door at ground to right within; fanlight; single window to left; crowstepped dormerhead to bipartite window breaking eaves centred at 1st floor. Tripartite window at ground in bay recessed to outer right; crowstepped dormerhead to bipartite window breaking eaves centred above.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting crowstepped gable with 4-light canted window centred at ground; bipartite window at 1st floor; rectangular panel aligned in gablehead. Bipartite window at ground in bay recessed to left; crowstepped dormerhead to bipartite window breaking eaves above. Single storey wing recessed to outer right.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: timber door centred at ground. Single window at ground off-set to left of centre; crowstepped dormerhead to single window breaking eaves above. Squat windows at both floors off-set to right of centre; single storey, crowstepped wing to outer right.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting crowstepped gable end with 4-light canted window centred at ground; bipartite window at 1st floor; rectangular panel aligned in gablehead. Lean-to verandah adjoining bay recessed to right; crowstepped dormerhead to bipartite window breaking eaves above. Single storey wing recessed to outer left.
Timber sash and case windows throughout with 9- and 12-pane uppers, plate glass lowers; rooflight to front. Grey slate roof; terracotta ridging; crowstepped skews. Coped sandstone ridge and wallhead stacks; circular terracotta cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY RAILINGS: plain iron railings partially enclosing site.
B Group comprises 'Hutton Castle', 'Hutton Castle, Boundary Walls, Railings, Pier, Gatepiers and Gates at West Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, East Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, Quadrant Walls, Gatepiers and Gates at East Lodge', 'Hutton Castle, Walled Garden' and 'Hutton Castle, West Lodge' - see separate list entries. Set to the SW of Hutton Castle and now in separate ownership (1999). A well-detailed gate lodge, thought to date from circa 1876 when Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks of Guisachan purchased the Hutton estate (then known as 'Hutton Hall') for ?50,000. The adjoining gatepiers and gates are owned by the lodge. The drive which leads from the lodge to the castle is no longer in use (1999).
Other nearby listed buildings