This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9167 / 55°55'0"N
Longitude: -3.0187 / 3°1'7"W
OS Eastings: 336429
OS Northings: 669756
OS Grid: NT364697
Mapcode National: GBR 70C0.8W
Mapcode Global: WH7V0.LKR1
Entry Name: Carberry Tower Stables (Elphinstone Wing)
Listing Date: 5 December 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 343382
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10874
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: Midlothian
Probably office of David Bryce, circa 1860. 2-storey, single storey and attic, and single storey quadrangular stable group, in traditional Scottish style, currently converted as residential. Squared and snecked, stugged rubble; ashlar dressings; chamfered arrises to openings.
W RANGE: principal range, towards Carberry Tower. 2-storey, 5-bay entrance with slightly advanced, gabled pend bay at centre; depressed archway, currently blocked with door and window (1977), and with granary window above. Octagonal timber and lead clock tower above with weathervane finial to slated spire. 2 blinded segmental carriage arches flanking centre bays each side, with semi-circular windows inserted; granary windows above. 3 irregular single storey and attic bays flanking. Gabled ends to N and S ranges slightly advanced in outer bays. Machinery doors inserted on courtyard side of centre bays.
E RANGE: 5 single storey and attic residential bays at centre (original grooms' accommodation?) with gabled dormerheads and glazed porch on cast-iron columns to courtyard side, off-centre to right. Single storey out buildings in flanking bays. Range open with driveway at NE corner, and pedestrian walkway at SE, by kennels.
N AND S RANGES: single storey bays to E, rising to 3 single storey and attic bays to W. Regrettable porch addition to N range.
Kennels with railed runs and loft dovecot (13 flight holes) in SE gable.
SHEDS: lean-to range of independent sheds sited at centre of courtyard, running N-S, comprised of ashlar coped, squared rubble curtain wall with bays to E currently glazed, with dividing stone piers; serving as crafts centre.
Small-pane glazing pattern; sash and case windows in predominance; some modern and regrettably altered windows. Crowstepped gables with consoled skewputts; crowstepped dormerheads with beak skewputts and blind arrow slits. Grey slates. Stone gable end and ridge stacks.
David Bryce closed the U-plan Carberry Tower by the addition of a range, circa 1860, and it seems probable that his office worked contemporaneously on the stable block. The design is dignified, but without an individual stamp of Bryce. For further information on Carberry, see listing for Carberry Tower.
Other nearby listed buildings