This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9368 / 55°56'12"N
Longitude: -3.0454 / 3°2'43"W
OS Eastings: 334789
OS Northings: 672015
OS Grid: NT347720
Mapcode National: GBR 2F.YZR3
Mapcode Global: WH7V0.611M
Entry Name: 15 and 17 Inveresk Village, Eskhill with Dovecot, Wellhead, Gatepiers, Railings and Retaining Walls
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 343393
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10884
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Musselburgh
Traditional County: Midlothian
Post 1771, possibly with late 18th century additions,
and additions by Robert S Lorimer, 1907-1908. 3-storey
5-bay villa with 2-storey 2-bay wing. Ochre painted
harling with painted ashlar dressings; eaves course
and moulded cornice; hoodmoulds to S elevation, probably
later 18th century.
S ELEVATION: consoled, pedimented doorway; panelled door
with small-pane fanlight; windows in flanking bays and
to each bay at 1st and 2nd floor (smaller to centre bay
at 1st floor and to 2nd floor), each set in slightly
recessed panel. 2-storey bays to left with doorway,
detailed as above, to right, flanked to left by stone
mullioned later bipartite window and with 2 1st floor
windows (smaller above doorway).
N ELEVATION: rectangular, flat-roofed stairblock
projecting at centre, with single storey flat-roofed
addition in re-entrant angle to left; timber,
cantilevered 5-light rectangular oriel at 1st floor to
outer left, Lorimer(?) 1907-8, with door below. Further
additions to outer right.
E ELEVATION: canted, piend-roofed cantilevered oriel at
centre to 1st floor, Lorimer(?); door below; 2 1st floor
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Grey slate piend roof. Corniced and ashlar dressed
INTERIOR: late 18th century winding, cantilevered stone
staircase; marble tiled Hall; variegated marble,
classical Hall chimneypiece with inserted tablet. 1st
floor marble chimneypiece, circa 1760, from Fordell
House, Fife (demolished), and another from South
Audley House, Mayfair, probably inserted by Lorimer.
Decorative plaster cornices and panelled dadoes.
DOVECOT: circa 1700, restored and converted as
summerhouse, Robert Lorimer, 1907-8. Abacking garden
wall to NE of house. 2-storey, gabled with stone
forestair. Pebbledash with stone crowsteps. Doors in S
gable at each floor; 2 windows to E at ground and row of
small-pane casement windows at 1st floor. N end stack.
Bolection moulded stone chimneypiece at 1st floor.
WELLHEAD: Robert Lorimer, 1907-8. Circular wellhead in
sandstone rubble with ashlar coping and simple
wrought-iron overthrow with winch; wrought-iron grille
to opening. Sited by house to N.
GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND RETAINING WALLS: corniced ashlar
gatepiers with ball finials to W drove; boarded timber
gates. Decorative wrought-iron railings and gate by
S elevation. Rubble and brick retaining walls.
The ground was purchased in 1771 by Alexander
Macdougall, accountant of the Court of Exchequer in
Scotland, for ?500. The 3-storey, 5-bay composition with
recessed window panels, echoes the design of Rosehill,
to the south, but the narrow pile and gabled roof of the
latter indicate its earlier date. In 1824, a Mrs Hume
of Longformacus resided at the house. The Lorimer work
was commissioned by R Craig Cowan. Eskhill Lodge and
second pair of gatepiers are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings