This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9159 / 55°54'57"N
Longitude: -3.0449 / 3°2'41"W
OS Eastings: 334787
OS Northings: 669689
OS Grid: NT347696
Mapcode National: GBR 7051.L5
Mapcode Global: WH7V0.6K9P
Entry Name: Smeaton House (Known As Smeaton Home Farm) with Garden Walls
Listing Date: 27 November 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 343464
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10924
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: Midlothian
Remains of early 18th century Classical house,
attributed to James Smith, originally 3-storey, U-plan
opening to E, with round towers to corners of W
elevation. Less than half original design remains (S
half), as 2-storey house and 3-storey tower, with later
alterations and additions; vaulted ground floor.
Sandstone rubble, harl-pointed; ashlar dressings; base
course and moulded cornice.
2-STOREY BLOCK: original S wing extended sympathetically
to N at E end, possibly in 19th century. Small original
windows to vaulted ground floor, and several later and
altered windows to each elevation. 4 bays to S, irregular
fenestration; 2 bays to E (that to right in later
extension) with windows to each floor, left window at
ground floor considerably enlarged. E elevation with
projecting extension to outer left, windows to each
floor, and door on return elevation to W; flush panelled
door. lean-to bay at centre with window to each floor.
Advanced bays to outer right built-up from curtain wall
remains, and given flat-roof, rendered and lined with
modern window and further, secondary door. W elevation
with tower to outer right, and 2 closely grouped bays to
2-storey house to left; altered openings, blinded in bay
TOWER: round tower with rectangular stairblock adjoined.
Door at foot of stairblock. Later windows inserted to W
elevation; blinded arrow slits to stairblock to S.
Conical and piend roofs.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Grey slates to piend roofs; lead flashings. Rendered
CURTAIN WALLS AND NW TOWER REMAINS: curtain wall remains
of W elevation to ground floor height, with openings
(some blocked); ashlar coped. Low portion of 2nd
tower retained to NW, converted as outbuilding with
GARDEN WALLS: sandstone rubble walls with ashlar and
semi-circular coping, extending from S elevation to S.
Built as East Park House, currently also known as
Smeaton Home Farm. James Smith was working at Dalkeith
Palace for the Duke of Buccleuch from 1702, and it is
probably that he also designed the 'summer residence' in
the landscaped grounds. Tait records Boyse's description
of the Duke of Buccleuch's retreat from the Palace at
SW, to 'lovely Smeaton', where 'greatness wearied with
its rooms of state, Finds oft the secret charms of a
retreat'. Pococke, from a visit in 1760, revealed the
Duke's routine of sleeping at Smeaton while dining at
Dalkeith (where the market gardens were renowned). The
existence of a vaulted basement suggests that an earlier
building was incorporated in the early 18th century
design. The house is marked on the 1852 OS of
Edinburghshire as Smeaton Dairy. Smeaton House lodge and
gatepiers, and the cottages, stables and cartshed of
the Home Farm, are listed separately. John Adam is
reported to have visited the House to inspect for
necessary repairs in June 1752.
Other nearby listed buildings