History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Megginch Castle, Stables, Dovecot, Screen Walls and Gatepiers

A Category A Listed Building in Errol, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.408 / 56°24'28"N

Longitude: -3.2308 / 3°13'50"W

OS Eastings: 324146

OS Northings: 724653

OS Grid: NO241246

Mapcode National: GBR 27.063H

Mapcode Global: WH6QG.B6RD

Entry Name: Megginch Castle, Stables, Dovecot, Screen Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 343519

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10964

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Errol

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie

Parish: Errol

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Kinnaird

Description

Dated 1807, incorporating earlier range to E. Quadrangular Gothic stable courtyard with polygonal dovecot, M-gabled screen wall and gatepiers, and hall closing S elevation. Single storey and loft, 8-bay original rubble range to N and 3-bay to W. Converted matching 8-bay E wing of piended brick. Earlier piended tall single storey rubble and brick range to S. Pointed and ogee-arched openings.

COURTYARD ELEVATIONS:

S ELEVATION (N RANGE): slightly advanced crowstepped gable to centre with 2-leaf part-glazed timber door and deep fanlight, clock in gablehead and cross finial carved '19 RD 07'. Windows to flanking bays with glazed cinquefoil loft openings between bays. Door to outer right.

W ELEVATION (E RANGE): 2-leaf door to centre bay with 2 windows to right and narrow door beyond; window to left of centre with door beyond, further window in penultimate bay to left and further door to outer left. Glazed cinquefoil loft openings between bays, except outer right bay with small rectangular window.

E ELEVATION (W RANGE): piended range with broad cart arches to centre and left, latter under sloping roof, single window to right.

N ELEVATION (S RANGE): former storehouse now converted to hall (see Notes). Rubble range raised in brick. 3 ogee-headed windows and square-headed window (formerly ogee) to outer left, hayloft opening to centre.

Multi-pane diamond pattern glazing with decoratively-astragalled windowheads, doorheads, and cinquefoils. Grey slates. Coped ashlar diamond-aligned ridge stacks with oversized thackstanes.

DOVECOT: hexagonal 2-stage dovecot with open-pointed arch arcade to lower stage and bellcast roof with broad eaves and ironwork galleon finial. Roughly coursed rubble with ashlar margins and some droved quoins. Gothic-arched openings. Broad-arched dovecot opening to S with row of tiny flightholes (that to centre larger), opening partly rendered. Diamond shaped openings with diamond-pattern leaded glazing to flanking faces. Narrow opening to N with boarded timber door and decoratively-astragalled windowhead; flanking faces as above.

SCREEN WALLS AND GATEPIERS: finialled M-gabled rubble screen wall with centre timber door to E and further smaller gable to S adjoining polygonal finialled ashlar gatepiers at SE.

Statement of Interest

Built for Captain Robert Drummond on his retirement from the East India Service. "A model of the East Indiaman, the General Elliot, on which he served as Captain (at the age of 22) from her launching in 1783, tops the dovecote as weathervane" (Baroness Strange). The earlier E range is constructed of early local brick made by John Larchme who was employed by John Drummond MP in 1714. The bricks cost 4/6 sterling per thousand. The S range hall has passed through a number of uses since possibly the 18th century. From storehouse, brewery, bakery and slaughterhouse it became a flat and recording studio in the 1930s when 'Great Scot Records' was based here. In 1937 it became a film studio and during WWII a granary. After the war it was renovated and converted to a hall for family weddings. Photographs of circa 1875 show the building with ogee-headed windows at 1st floor level. Megginch Castle estate includes Chapel, Gothic Arch, Ice House, Kennels Cottage, Kingdom Farmhouse, North Lodges, Walled Gardens, Wardheads and West Lodge all listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.