This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5948 / 56°35'41"N
Longitude: -3.9813 / 3°58'52"W
OS Eastings: 278440
OS Northings: 746523
OS Grid: NN784465
Mapcode National: GBR JCJ9.516
Mapcode Global: WH4LV.THBP
Entry Name: Taymouth Castle
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 344767
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12093
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Gothic, mainly chlorite-slate ashlar. Main block 4-storey with circular angle towers of 5-storeys, central staircase and lantern: 2-storey east wing; west wing partly stuccoed brickwork 2-storey, S. part 3-storey ashlar. Battlemented throughout.
Building history:- Main block of old Ballock Castle demolished. 1799 leaving flanking 2-storey wings of c. 1733 by Wm. Adam standing.
1806 main block begun James and Archibald Elliot archts, cloisters and main building completed 1808.
Staircase wholly designed and executed by Francis Bernasconi who also did the plasterwork of drawing rooms 1809-12: painted by Cornelius Dixon 1813. East wing pulled down and new east wing built 1818-19 and further extended by 1823, Wm. Atkinson, architect. 2-storey additions of stuccoed brickwork and crenellated parapet to west wing, 1825, also by Atkinson. Alterations to west wing, Queen's Rooms, Library, probably Library corridor, cast-iron external staircase and great dining hall and further storey, new battlements, ashlar casing added to Adam wing, J. Gillespie Graham archt. 1838-42 with interior work by A.W.N. Pugin. Drawing room and other ceilings by J.G. Grace from Pugin designs, finest of their period in UK.
Ground floor perhaps Paterson's work at least in part as the walls were built with a considerable batter and obviously not intended to have the present cloisters applied against them. Prior to Paterson, Robert Mylne had prepared plans for a new 'chateau' in 1789 but nothing was done though he did design and build a bridge 'for new road' the following year. Exceptionally spectacular and complete group of large country house and ancillaries.
Other nearby listed buildings