This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7849 / 55°47'5"N
Longitude: -6.2541 / 6°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 133390
OS Northings: 662809
OS Grid: NR333628
Mapcode National: GBR BFYF.84N
Mapcode Global: WGYGT.XV1M
Entry Name: Islay House
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 344817
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12142
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Killarow and Kilmeny
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Kintyre and the Islands
Parish: Killarow And Kilmeny
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Main block, c. 1680 (window-openings enlarged later).
3 storeys. 2 wings 1737. 2 storeys and attic.
Traditional. Harled. Gabled. Slate roofs. Crow-steps.
Piended dormers. Polygonal stair-towers added to end
wings (E. one c. 1760); flat roof balustraded parapet;
band-courses; Palladian windows. Splendid Georgian
interior: winding stairs; drawing-room etc.
Offices added at S.E. and rear. 1841-5 by William
Playfair: Scottish style. Stugged ashlar. Gabled. Slate
roof. Crow-steps. Dormers. '2-storey-and-attic nursery
wing' in style of old house built in 1910 replacing part
of playfairs offices and screening the rear part. There
is a low addition at the N.W. The head game keepers
Formerly called Kilarrow House. Built for Sir Hugh
Campbell of Cawdor, Nairnshire. Wings added for Daniel
Campbell, 1st of Shawfield and Woodhall, Lanarkshire
(who had acquired Islay 1726); Stair-towers for Daniel
Campbell, his successor. Extended for Walter Frederick
Campbell, 4th of Island and of Woodhall, Lanarkshire.
Acquired 1853 by Charles Morrison of Basildon Park,
Other nearby listed buildings