This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7622 / 55°45'43"N
Longitude: -4.0153 / 4°0'55"W
OS Eastings: 273644
OS Northings: 653930
OS Grid: NS736539
Mapcode National: GBR 01DT.H8
Mapcode Global: WH4QX.9F6H
Entry Name: Chatelherault Hunting Lodge, Ornamental Gardens Boundary and Courtyard Walls and Leopard House
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 345289
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12485
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
William Adam; 1731 design built 1732-43. Ornamental
hunting lodge and "dogg Kennel", built as eyecatcher
terminating Hamilton Palace south avenue and with fantastic
long baroque symmetrical facade. Abandoned when Hamilton
Palace was demolished circa 1929, and renovated by SDD
Historic Buildings Division in conjunction with
Hamilton District Council, 1978-87.
4 2-storey ranges linked by screen walls, east-most range
contains Duke's apartment at 1st floor, with restored
Clayton plasterwork; banqueting hall in next range alongside.
Courtyard to rear (south), ha-ha wall reaches substantial
height at west, with slope of ground; dummy fortifications;
leopard house at east, mound at south-east.
All rubble and ashlar with slate roofs.
Original interior work, which included plasterwork by
Thomas Clayton continued until circa 1746, has
Other nearby listed buildings