History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gladsmuir Old Parish Church with Graveyard Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Gladsmuir, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9499 / 55°56'59"N

Longitude: -2.8697 / 2°52'10"W

OS Eastings: 345785

OS Northings: 673327

OS Grid: NT457733

Mapcode National: GBR 2N.Y37F

Mapcode Global: WH7TW.WQN3

Entry Name: Gladsmuir Old Parish Church with Graveyard Walls

Listing Date: 5 June 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 345592

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12708

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Gladsmuir

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry

Parish: Gladsmuir

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Longniddry

Description

1695. Now ruinous, sited to N of 1838 church. Oblong plan; E=W axis, transeptal aisle to N. Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Doorways to S and E return of N aisle. Aisle opens into church with semi-circular arch with moulded impost stones. Rectangular windows with arched embrasures to interior; checks and hinge pins for outside shutters; bipartite to N gable, windows to E and W gables. Joist hole indicate former galleries at E and W ends. Crowstepped gables, carved rose finial to E grand bird-cage bellcote to W with round-arched openings and ogee roof with finial. Roofless. Early 19th century, classically detailed burial enclosures abutting now ruinous church walls to N; rubble with ashlar dressings, some rusticated quoins. 18th century table monument to N aisle with carved relief, flanked by wallmonument to Robert Hogg (d1768) with pilasters and memento mori (mortuary trophies). Relief of James Ainslie (d1876). 2-faced mass clock to SW angle dated 1700. GRAVEYARD WALLS: rubble coped rubble retaining walls - with lean-to toolshed.

Statement of Interest

Built by Baillie of Lamington in 1695 on the formation of Gladsmuir Parish from annexations from Tranent, Haddington and Aberlady (SA 1799), replacing an earlier church to the S, E of Hodges Church. Described as inadequate in 1834 (NSA). A new church was built in 1838 (listed separately). There is a variety of interesting gravestones in the graveyard, some 18th century.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.