History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rodel, Building at Ngr Ng 0461/8330

A Category B Listed Building in Na Hearadh agus Ceann a Deas nan Loch, Na h-Eileanan Siar

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.742 / 57°44'31"N

Longitude: -6.9657 / 6°57'56"W

OS Eastings: 104624

OS Northings: 883311

OS Grid: NG046833

Mapcode National: GBR 9868.67T

Mapcode Global: WGW2Q.ZN5S

Entry Name: Rodel, Building at Ngr Ng 0461/8330

Listing Date: 30 March 1994

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 345843

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12908

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Harris

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Electoral Ward: Na Hearadh agus Ceann a Deas nan Loch

Parish: Harris

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Tarbert

Description

Late 18th/early 19th century, presumably part of the development programme at Rodel by Captain MacLeod of Harris in the 1780's. [MacLeod had purchased the island from the MacLeods of Harris, and had moved there to stay in about 1782 (Knox, p158)]. 2-storey with low ground floor, forestair on front wall to centre door at first floor (single 1st floor windows in outer bays; small lights at altered ground floor); ground floor entered from rear - 3 doors - suggesting a use as storage (partly used as stabling/byre). Rendered rubble, at least one ground floor opening at front wall is blocked, some other openings may be altered (unusual glazing, 19th century, first floor casement

windows with cross-shaped principal divides - similar pattern to

that on corrugated iron buildings at Rodel Hotel, nearby);

boarded doors throughout; corrugated iron roof; skews; and

stacks. Walled close at rear, low and roofless rectangular -plan

outbuilding recessed at right with flat-arched cart opening on flank to close; walls otherwise blind, but for series of slit ventilators, again suggesting original function to have been storage. Joist holes indicate existence formerly of a loft storey.

Statement of Interest

A brief account of developments at Rodel begun c.1782 is given in

J Knox, THE HIGHLANDS AND HEBRIDES IN 1786, p156. That part of the ground floor containing byre/stable (ie the north end, the room to the right, viewed from road) may be a conversion from a previous function; in this room can be seen a blocked window on the front wall.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.