This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.7385 / 57°44'18"N
Longitude: -6.9627 / 6°57'45"W
OS Eastings: 104769
OS Northings: 882906
OS Grid: NG047829
Mapcode National: GBR 9868.FL6
Mapcode Global: WGX3W.0RPH
Entry Name: Rodel Hotel
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 345847
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12911
Building Class: Cultural
County: Na h-Eileanan Siar
Electoral Ward: Na Hearadh agus Ceann a Deas nan Loch
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Buildings of various dates, now (1994) all forming part of Rodel Hotel. Nucleus is the former MacLeod mansion, a tall gabled range, 2 storeys with attic, possibly altered in the course of the various building works carried out by MacLeod of Harris in the 1780's. Buildings mostly harled and slate-roofed, windows mostly sashes; additions to north in corrugated iron.
TALL RANGE has 2-bay gable facing Rodel Harbour, asymmetrically-placed openings on (west) front wall (ie elevation does not divide into conventional bay divisions; 8-pane glazing pattern except at wall-head attic dormers); entrance in a 2-storey piend-roofed square projection, possibly an addition of circa 1840, judging by fenestration (lying-panes, timber-mullioned bipartite at first floor). At rear, steel fire escape to swept-roofed attic doorway which has the appearance of a loft door on an industrial building. Skews; ashlar end stacks.
GABLED LOW RANGE, parallel, at rear, and longer, may equally date from the 1780's, possibly coach house/stables; alternatively, it had some industrial purpose originally; 4 end/ridge stacks; adjoining range to rear, at south end, forming L-plan and fronting harbour, is roofless (1994). Also fronting harbour, linked at NW corner of tall range is a piend-roofed low, MID-19TH CENTURY WING; 4 bays - spaced: 3 with centre door, flanking canted window left, bipartite right, outer stacks; plus single-window linking bay, right, like an afterthought to the original design (though roof slates all look uniform suggesting all one build); steps to door, horizontal glazing pattern (of different type to that on tall block). To north, and adjoining the last-mentioned range, gabled,
corrugated-iron ranges with original glazing. Another low harled 19th century range is set close to north gable of tall range. Rubble-walled extensive garden enclosure to north; driveway/forecourt quayed at south at harbour, rubble walls and gatepiers at pier.
Said to have formerly been used as a shooting lodge for the Earl of Dunmore, who acquired Harris in 1834; some of the alteration works here may date from about then, and the implication would be that industry at Rodel on any meaningful scale had already ended.
Other nearby listed buildings