This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9657 / 55°57'56"N
Longitude: -3.5245 / 3°31'28"W
OS Eastings: 304936
OS Northings: 675792
OS Grid: NT049757
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.X058
Mapcode Global: WH5R9.T9VZ
Entry Name: Gateside Steading
Listing Date: 16 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 345933
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12971
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Lothian
Electoral Ward: Linlithgow
Traditional County: West Lothian
Later 18th century, additions mid 19th century. Quadrangular-plan steading. Whinstone rubble with stugged ashalr quoins and dressings to cart-arches of cartshed and granary. Boarded doors.
E RANGE: gate to steading yard to centre with cartshed and granary to right and ancillary buildings to left.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay cartshed and granary; 5 segmental-car-arches, that to outer left with 2-leaf doors enclosing equipment shed. 5 small windows above. Lower piended return to N wing to outer right, door. Single storey block to left of yard entrance with door to left and window to right; door to courtyard elevation. Later modern sheds addjoined to left.
W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: rear of cart shed and granary with stone forestair to door breaking eaves at 1st floor.
N RANGE: rubble wall to Linlithgow-Edinburgh road.
S (COURTYEARD) ELEVAITON: 3 covered cattle courts, rubble walls, timber gables.
W RANGE: barn to SW angle.
E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: L-plan barn, door in re-entrant angle to right flanked by window to right at ground and 1st floor; large vehicle entrance in e-entrant angle to left with sliding door, window above.
S RANGE: low single storey range.
N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: window to centre, large vehicel entrance to right with sliding door, door to left.
Fixed 6-pane to granary windows; louvre lower, fixed-pane upper to barn windows. Grey slate roof to cartshed and granary; red pantiled to N and W ranges; corrucated to S range. Ashlar coped skews to cartshed, sandstone stack to right gable.
See also Gateside farmhouse lsited separately. The site has been continuously occupied since circa 1773, apart from the addition of a steam engine range built in 1840, the steading has remained much as it was originally built. The wintering courts were constructed towards the end of the 19th century and in recent times further additions have been made to the south and west. In 1969 the south range was converted into one long shed and a grain and potato shed with drying equipment was added.
Other nearby listed buildings