History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Linlithgow Bridge, 2-14 (Even Nos) Main Street, Chalmers Cottages

A Category B Listed Building in Linlithgow, West Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9762 / 55°58'34"N

Longitude: -3.626 / 3°37'33"W

OS Eastings: 298626

OS Northings: 677105

OS Grid: NS986771

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.WFCK

Mapcode Global: WH5R8.81KX

Entry Name: Linlithgow Bridge, 2-14 (Even Nos) Main Street, Chalmers Cottages

Listing Date: 20 December 1976

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 345943

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12976

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Linlithgow

County: West Lothian

Electoral Ward: Linlithgow

Parish: Linlithgow

Traditional County: West Lothian

Find accommodation in
Linlithgow

Description

Sir Robert Lorimer, 1907. Pair of Arts and Crafts near-symmetrical semi-detached rustic cottages with 2 single storey and attic bays to centre and 2-storey jerkin-headed gabled end bays; rectangular-plan, accommodating 7 flats. Harled, cream sandstone rubble to base course and wall below windows at ground to centre, droved ashlar cills, bipartite and tripartite casement windows with wooden mullions, boarded doors.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: recessed to centre; long canted window bridging centre with doors to right and left, roof sweeping down low over window and forming porches to entrances. 2 slate-hung keel-shaped dormers above with hinged windows and fishscale diamond motif to gablehead. Taller jerkin-headed gable to left; door to outer left, tripartite window to right at ground and below swept eaves at centre above. Mirror image to end bay to right (E) but with door set in chamfered angle corbelled to square at 1st floor.

E (SIDE) ELEVAITON: asymmetrical door off-centre right with window to right, bipartite window at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 8 symmetrical bays; 2-tripartite windows ast ground and 1st floor to centre, 2-leaf half-glazed door with window at 1st floor to right and left, bipartite window at ground and 1st floor to far right and left, door to outer bays with bipartite window above.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: window at ground and 1st floor under eaves.

Side-hung casement windows with 6-pane to each light; fixed 9-pane windows. grey slate roof, 3 tall harled stacks to centre.

Statement of Interest

These flatted cottages were build for workers of the paper mill owned by Thomas Chalmers, of Longcroft House. There were stairs to the upper flats at the rear, now demolished. The rustic exterior design is identical to four cottages built in 1901 at Colinton Road, Edinburgh for J Galletly, in what became known as Lorimer's Colinton Manner.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.