This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1732 / 56°10'23"N
Longitude: -3.2453 / 3°14'43"W
OS Eastings: 322779
OS Northings: 698532
OS Grid: NT227985
Mapcode National: GBR 26.H2VM
Mapcode Global: WH6RM.33WD
Entry Name: Kinglassie, Church Lane, Kinglassie Parish Church
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 345976
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13004
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes West and Kinglassie
Traditional County: Fife
1773 restoration, incorporating earlier (possibly 15th century) fabric, by Roger Black and Robert Baxter (masons) and James Lawson (wright), rebuilt S wall, replaced windows, roof and bellcote. James Gillespie Graham, alterations 1839: John Murray of Kirkcaldy, alterations 1884: Peddie & Kinnear heightened building and replaced roof 1887: Hislop of Kirkcaldy, E extension and N transept round window (see Notes) 1890. Single storey, 7-bay irregular T-plan (L-plan with minor W projection) church with birdcage bellcote. Dressed, squared, snecked and coursed sandstone rubble with dressed and polished ashlar quoins. Round-headed openings and chamfered reveals.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf boarded timber doors in doorways to outer right and left flanking 5 irregularly disposed windows; 3 bays to right slightly stepped back in 1890 extension with slated timber birdcage ventilator with baluster bars at junction.
E ELEVATION: broad advanced gable with 2 windows to left, 2 windows on return to right and further window on recessed face to right below small, timber-louvred roof ventilator.
W ELEVATION: broad advanced gable to right with small window at centre and corbelled birdcage bellcote in gablehead; recessed face to left with further window at centre and 2 pairs of ?marriage? lintels to right; small timber-louvred roof ventilator above.
N ELEVATION: broad gable with small rubble and timber gabled porch at centre, door on return to left; round window at centre and louvred oculus in gablehead.
Small-pane, coloured, leaded glazing in timber windows; stained glass to round window. Grey slates and ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: small vestibule leading to L-plan church with chancel area to W, panelled pulpit with finialled back board behind Communion table. Nave to E with fixed timber pews, boarded dado part with blind, round-arched arcading, segmental-headed soffits, plain cornicing and stepped ceiling; small panelled gallery to W end, marble monuments on S wall, to Major General Sir William Reid and War Memorial. N transept with decorative plasterwork, marble wall monument to John Aytoun of Inchdairnie, 1831, and round window with monogram of Mitchell family, also timber pews and dado.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Dedicated to St Glastian, the original church belonged to the Abbot of Dunfermline, with St Glastian's well nearby. Rev Cunnynghame in NSA describes the building: "The exterior of the fabric has a very heavy appearance, being nearly 90 feet long, and of very subordinate and disproportionate dimensions in height and breadth. The east gable, and part of the contiguous side walls are supposed to have stood for at least two centuries. The remainder was rebuilt in 1773, when the whole received a new roof" (p202). Seemingly, Hislop's E extension of 1890 would have eradicated most of the 15th century fabric. Groome dates the N transept alterations, funded by Alex Mitchell of Redwells, to 1892. Gateway, Graveyard and Boundary walls listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings