This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1712 / 56°10'16"N
Longitude: -4.903 / 4°54'10"W
OS Eastings: 219868
OS Northings: 701409
OS Grid: NN198014
Mapcode National: GBR 06.H2JC
Mapcode Global: WH2L8.N4FX
Entry Name: Lochgoilhead, Sundial
Listing Date: 22 November 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346024
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13039
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Lochgoilhead And Kilmorich
Traditional County: Argyllshire
This 17th century sandstone obelisk sundial stands in the garden of The Cottage (see separate listing) on land that was once common village ground, at the head of Loch Goil. The sundial is believed to have been moved several times (RCAHMS, Inventory), and its original location is now unknown; it has however occupied its current position since circa 1870. The sundial is a good example of a distinctive style of 17th century sundial design.
The sundial stands on a square three-stepped plinth, and is surrounded by circular metal railings. The square shaft is divided on each face into 5 square panels, each of which contains a sunken geometrical shape; designs include hearts, hemispheres, saltires and other geometrical devices, and the stubs of broken metal gnomons remain on some of the panels. On the north side of the shaft, the top panel bears the initials D / HM, the middle panel bears the initials S / C (C), and the lowest panel bears the date 1626. The date appears to have been recut in the 19th century, and probably originally read 1696, as the sundial bears a strong similarity to one dated 1695 at Asknish House (see separate listing) (RCAHMS, Inventory). Surmounting the shaft is a multi-facetted head with sunken hemispheres and triangles on the oblique faces, and the obelisk above; both the head and the obelisk have several broken gnomons, some of which are surrounded by finely incised dials (now almost entirely illegible).
The initials on the sundial are those of Sir Colin Campbell of Ardkinglas (d.1709) and his wife Dame Helen Maxwell; Campbell was the major landowner in Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich parish at that time.
Other nearby listed buildings