This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.587 / 57°35'13"N
Longitude: -4.5437 / 4°32'37"W
OS Eastings: 248031
OS Northings: 858067
OS Grid: NH480580
Mapcode National: GBR H84N.ZBY
Mapcode Global: WH3DM.5KLL
Entry Name: Strathpeffer Nicolson Mackenzie Memorial Hospital
Listing Date: 28 August 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346346
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13238
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh
Traditional County: Cromartyshire
Designed by W C Joass (as a hospital, though initial appearance is like a mid/late century villa) and opened 1896. White-harled, slate roofs; alterations. Symmetrical, composed on the common formula for small-scale hospitals of principally 3 parallel rectangular-plan blocks with narrow links; single bay gable ends to south front, outer (ward) blocks single storey, centre block 2 storeys over basement (which is set in to slope of ground), canted 3-window bay at ground with round-headed windows, original timber brackets and modern steel handrail enclosing blacony onto which 1st floor window opens. Links are fronted by (possibly added) fully-glazed sun-rooms. French windows in outer gables. Glazing patterns small and multi-panes in combination, mostly sash and case, others with hoppers. Bracketed eaves, ashlar stacks set above flank walls or gables. Also ranges to rear, principally low wing extending from centre block, containing main entrance, in porch.
Committee for promoting hospital scheme first met October 1891, and a site was gifted by the Earl of Cromartie. In 1894, the committee was offered $1,000 from Miss Morison Duncan, on behalf of her mother, Mrs Morison Duncan of Naughton House, Fife, if the hospital was named after her uncle, Dr Nicolson MacKenzie, a native of Strathpeffer, who was drowned at sea.
Other nearby listed buildings