This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2508 / 56°15'2"N
Longitude: -3.1822 / 3°10'55"W
OS Eastings: 326847
OS Northings: 707103
OS Grid: NO268071
Mapcode National: GBR 28.B51Z
Mapcode Global: WH6R8.24YX
Entry Name: Newtown of Falkland Bonthrone Maltings ( Formerly Newton Old Brewery)
Listing Date: 25 February 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346435
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13311
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Maltings and brewery complex, established 1600, remodelled early 19th century, and again at later dates during the 19th century, comprising North Maltings ranged along Main Street, and later South maltings, forming a courtyard to S, linked to North Maltings by oversailing bridge carried across Home Road, attached to South Maltings kiln. Rubble with pantiled and slated roofs. 3 kilns with pyramidal roofs and pagoda ventilators add to visual impact of the group in the landscape.
North Maltings: wedge-shaped site, with long single-storey N range to street, and double malt barn ranges linked to S, square-plan kiln at centre to W, with W elevation of N range and W gables of maltings splaying to either side.
N range (fire-damaged, 1992) incorporates earlier (17th-18th century) build, with boulder rubble to lower courses, especially evident on W elevation: evidently re-cast and heightened from single to 2-storey building circa mid-later 19th century; asymmetrical openings N to street, with segmental-arched cart-arch at right. Roof partially collapsed. Maltings: probably early 19th century, recast mid 19th century; 3-storey, 7-bay, with dog-leg double range; rubble with pantiled M-roof. Window openings made smaller in mid 19th century.
INTERIOR: timber floors on slender earlier 19th century cast-iron columns, supplemented by thicker columns at time of remodelling. Bakers ovens.Kiln: to W; square-plan, roof remodelled early 20th century (top courses rendered brick), and with replacement slated pyramid roof and shallow pyramid cap to square apex ventilator. Timber-lined roof interior and wire mesh floor. Adjacent timber-clad lead pagoda-capped elevator cover. Timber-clad bridge with piended slate roof on steel girders links N and S maltings. South Maltings: 1874 courtyard surrounded by large malt barn to E, workshops and offices to N, and stables and cart shed to S. Malt barn: 3-storey, 8-bay; rubble with piended pantiled roof, elevator cover with pagoda roof breaking through ridge to N near kiln; scarred W (courtyard) elevation where former grain drying range has been demolished (see References), leaving iron fire doors. Interior: timber floors on single row of cast-iron columns, square timber posts at 2nd floor. Queen post attic with grain bins. Steeps formerly at S end. Large square-plan Kiln to N, with red-tiled roof with elaborate pagoda-type apex ventilator; timber-lined roof interior. Framework only of floor remains. Circular-plan brick chimney stalk with oversailer and cornice on square masonry base in NE courtyard angle, rising from former brwhouse: 2-storey with slated piend and flat roof. 1st floor rendered where formerly probably was burned. Single-storey stables,cart-shed and workshops ranges enclosing courtyard on other 3 sides, with simple boarded doors. Windows part glazed over shutters throughout.
Important feature in the village and a distinctive landmark in the countryside. The bonthrones began brewing here in 1600 and stopped in 1916, thence to concentrate on malting and bottling, and acquired rivals at Ladybank in 1935 and Pitlessie in 1937, also having Stratheden Distillery from 1829-1929 at Auchtermuchty. Malting stopped in 1960.
Other nearby listed buildings