This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1115 / 56°6'41"N
Longitude: -5.5142 / 5°30'50"W
OS Eastings: 181604
OS Northings: 696531
OS Grid: NR816965
Mapcode National: GBR DDRK.K0V
Mapcode Global: WH0HX.8NG7
Entry Name: St. Columba's Episcopal Chapel, Poltalloch Estate
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346962
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13764
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Mid Argyll
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Thomas Cundy 1852-4. 'Early English' Gothic Revival Church. Gabled rectangular-plan with chancel set lower to E. Octagonal belfry with pyramidal cap at W gable apex. Private memorial chapel to S side of chancel and gabled porch to N side. Rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; moulded cill course; dentiled eaves course. Shafted lancet windows with hood moulds; stepped buttressing. Stepped skew gables. Cross finials. Carved figurative panel inset to N porch gable.
INTERIOR: (not seen 2011) droved ashlar walls with floral carved stonework detail. Timber roof with pointed-arch bracing and corbelled collar trusses; panelled ceiling to chancel. Octagonal pulpit and Purbeck marble font. Oak screen separating chancel and chapel. Stained glass by William Wailes.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: coped rubble boundary wall with ornamental cast-iron railings. Pyramidal capped gatepiers.
Place of worship in use as such.
St Columba's is a fine example of strict Early English Revival church architecture in Scotland, equally notable for its quality interior. Located 200 metres E of Poltalloch House (see separate listing) it was originally conceived as a private chapel for the Malcolm family of Poltalloch. London architect Thomas Cundy was employed after William Burn's plan to incorporate a family chapel at Portalloch House was abandoned in 1845. Understood to be Cundy's only building in Scotland. There are three 16th century timber choir stalls of unknown provenance adapted as misericord seats in the nave.
List description updated, 2011, with information from F A Walker, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute.
Other nearby listed buildings