History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardtornish Estate Kinlochaline Castle

A Category B Listed Building in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5641 / 56°33'50"N

Longitude: -5.749 / 5°44'56"W

OS Eastings: 169757

OS Northings: 747639

OS Grid: NM697476

Mapcode National: GBR DC5C.KH1

Mapcode Global: WH0FN.N8LR

Entry Name: Ardtornish Estate Kinlochaline Castle

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 347199

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13960

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Morvern

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Acharn

Description

Probably 15th century, remodelled in late 16th or early 17th
century, extensively restored, 1890, Alexander Ross,
Inverness.
Tall square castle, 2-storeys over vaulted undercroft. Rubble
with tooled ashlar dressings. Raised ground floor entrance in
south wall approached by (1890) forestair; over door a small
carved stone plaque with cable moulded border, carved stag
pursued by hound, with fish below. Corbelled wallhead with
corbelled bartizan turrets at SE and SW, and with
box-machiolation (of 15th century date but re-built in 1890
restoration) above doorway; restored gun loops. Some enlarged
windows (1890).
Interior; large fireplace in north wall of 1st floor hall
with carved stone plaque above lintel depicting figure of
kneeling woman holding disk or bowl in right hand and flask
under left arm, with beehive shaped object (pitcher?) in top
left corner. Newel stair of 17th century date leads to 2nd
and further stair to wallhead.

Statement of Interest

Probably built in 15th century by one of the MacLeans of

Duart. Captured in 1644 by detachment of 400 men from

Royalist army led by Alasdair MacDonald, who supported

Montrose. Purchased in 1730 by Sir Alexander Murray of

Stanhope, but not used as dwelling.

Badly cracked and in very poor condition when purchased with

Ardtornish estate by T V Smith, and restored in 1890.

Commanding position on rocky ridge above Loch Aline.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.