This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9006 / 55°54'2"N
Longitude: -2.744 / 2°44'38"W
OS Eastings: 353574
OS Northings: 667749
OS Grid: NT535677
Mapcode National: GBR 9086.QM
Mapcode Global: WH7V4.TYHD
Entry Name: Gifford, the Avenue, Yester House Gate Lodges, Gates and Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348085
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14667
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
John Adam, 1753-60. Identical pair of single storey classical
lodges, 1753-58, flanking giant piers and decorative iron
gates, wrought by Hillcoat of Newcastle, 1760, presumably
to John Adam's designs.
LODGES: red rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings, base and
eaves courses, rusticated quoins and moulded cornice;
rectangular plan. 3-bay elevation to the Avenue, each with
window; 2-bay return elevation towards drive, with window
to N bay and entrance gates and piers linking to S bay. 3-bay
S elevation to drive with doorway in open, consoled, pedimented
bay at centre; panelled door with small-pane fanlight and
blind oculus; window in each flanking bay.
12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Bell-cast,
grey slate, piend roof with lead flashings; corniced ashlar
stack at centre; slate hung, flat-roofed dormer addition.
PIERS: red sandstone ashlar pair of square section gatepiers,
towering to full-height of lodges; attached, coupled Doric
columns to each pier to The Avenue, semi-circular niche with
blank panel above to the drive; full entablature with deep
cornice and triglyph and metope frieze. Balustraded,
pedestrian gateways link piers with lodges.
GATES: ornate, gilded wrought-iron overthow with monogram and
coronet above 2-leaf wrought-iron gates and side panels.
Simpler wrought-iron gates in pedestrian gateways flanking
RAILINGS: wrought and cast-iron retaining railings, adjoined
to lodges, set on coped parapets.
Further earlier gateway and later lodge at Danskine,
listed separately in Garvald and Bara parish. Stone for the
piers and lodges came from quarries in Saltoun and Grange.
For Yester House and ancillary buildings see separate
Part of Gifford Village A Group.
Other nearby listed buildings