History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Reay Parish Church and Enclosure Wall

A Category A Listed Building in Reay, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.5592 / 58°33'32"N

Longitude: -3.7766 / 3°46'35"W

OS Eastings: 296733

OS Northings: 964822

OS Grid: NC967648

Mapcode National: GBR K613.GS6

Mapcode Global: WH5BL.Y4S9

Entry Name: Reay Parish Church and Enclosure Wall

Listing Date: 13 April 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 348493

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14992

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Reay

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Thurso and Northwest Caithness

Parish: Reay

Traditional County: Caithness

Find accommodation in
Reay

Description

1739; alterations and re-seating, 1933. T-plan, harled with

ashlar dressings and margins. 7-bay south facing frontage with projecting square tower at east gable and large Y-tracery

window (1933) west gable. Doorways in bays 2 and 6 (blocked at

SE); occulus in centre bay, close to wallhead, with rectangular

recess below; windows checked for shutters; 12-pane fixed

glazing. Forestair leads to 1st floor door in south face of

tower, which has rectangular openings in each face of belfry

rising above church roof ridge and terminating with pyramidal

roof with apex ball finial. Rear T-wing has gable end forestair

leading to gallery; blocked ground floor entrance to burial

vault with fluted decorative detailing to architraves;

small later vestry in NE re-entrant angle Ball finials; flat

skews; slate roofs. Interior; hexagonal pulpit (circa 1739)

with panelled sides, moulded coping, Corinthian pilastered

back-board and hexagonal sounding board with moulded and

modillioned cornice stand near centre of south wall; 1933

seating in east and west aisles; long panelled communion

table fronts north aisle, which has panelled and pilastered

arched entrance and simple panelled front to Sandside gallery;

modern glazed partition closes area below gallery. Various 19th

and early 20th century mural monuments, particularly to

Pilkingtons of Sandside House.

Enclosure wall; enclosure walled with coped rubble wall;

simple ashlar gate piers flank pedestrian entrance.

Statement of Interest

Building in ecclesiastical use as such.

Re-seating retains original plan.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.