History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stichill, Gateway to Former Stichill Park

A Category C Listed Building in Stichill, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6378 / 55°38'15"N

Longitude: -2.4603 / 2°27'37"W

OS Eastings: 371119

OS Northings: 638340

OS Grid: NT711383

Mapcode National: GBR C387.4V

Mapcode Global: WH8XS.5KPC

Entry Name: Stichill, Gateway to Former Stichill Park

Listing Date: 7 November 2007

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 348608

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15084

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Stichill

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Kelso and District

Parish: Stichill

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Find accommodation in
Hume

Description

Dated 1869. Ornamental Jacobean style gateway comprising tall rusticated gatepiers to central vehicle entrance connected to lower piers at each side by walls pierced by pedestrian gate openings. Polished sandstone ashlar. Base course; moulded cope to walls. Tall central gatepiers with heavy stylised rusticated, corniced caps and obelisk finials mounted on ball feet. Outer piers with banded and ball finials. Pedestrian entrance with lugged, roll-moulded architraves embracing central griffin head carved relief. Decorative cast-iron arch connecting central piers.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Eildon View (Stichill Lodge). The gateway with lodge set behind is a striking and important feature in the village. Stichill House was designed by Brown & Wardrop (Thomas Brown II and James Maitland Wardrop) for George Baird of Gartsherrie and built in 1866. The gateway was constructed a few years after the house but was also commissioned by George Baird (see his monogram of left central pier and date on right pier) and may be also the work of Brown & Wardrop. The main gates were requisitioned during the Second World War and the only remains of the ironwork is the decorative arch which spans the gateway.

The family crest of the Bairds of Auchmeddan incorporated a griffin's head. In the 19th century the Bairds of Gartsherrie, the Lanarkshire coal and iron masters, purchased Auchmeddan and revived this crest hence its appearance here.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.