This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6407 / 55°38'26"N
Longitude: -3.1546 / 3°9'16"W
OS Eastings: 327422
OS Northings: 639175
OS Grid: NT274391
Mapcode National: GBR 63D6.VS
Mapcode Global: WH6V5.JH14
Entry Name: Kailzie, Scots Mill
Listing Date: 21 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349013
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15420
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
1802 for Robert Nutter Campbell. 2-storey and attic, irregularly fenestrated L-plan former corn mill with pyramidal-roofed kiln in N arm and former granary to W. Random local whinstone rubble with whinstone dressings, later openings with some sandstone ashlar dressings. Skew gabled with plain skews and putts.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay elevation with central timber boarded entrance door within whinstone surround with segmental (whinstone voussoired) lintel; segmental-headed windows to flanks with similarly treated dressings; inscribed panel RNC 1802 SM. Piended hayloft entrance breaking eaves between door and right window with boarded timber section to lower and window to upper section.
W ELEVATION: square-plan kiln to left and granary wing advanced to right, both newly fenestrated. Kiln: new central fenestration to each level. Advanced kiln: central entrance in advanced lower loft; to middle loft, central serliana style tripartite window (without the columns) with lean-to roof of lower loft rising and flanking it; to attic, central segmental-headed window.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: to left, advanced kiln with new fenestration; return of granary to right with new fenestration.
E ELEVATION: granary to left with entrance at lower level accessed by flight of steps, central serliana style tripartite window to middle loft with central segmental-headed attic window in gablehead; near blind kiln to right (sparsely fenestrated).
8 and 12-pane glazing (with segmental-headed upper sashes) in timber sash and case windows; large multi-pane fixed arch-headed window to W gable; later traditional style glazing in later openings. Pitched slate roof with slated pyramidal-roofed kiln; replacement ridging and flashing; row of roofline ventilators in granary. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: converted to form modern residential accommodation in the late 20th century; original room layout still visible with later connecting openings and timber staircase.
Part of a B-Group with Miller's House. This former corn mill and miller's house are part of the wider surviving landscape features from Kailzie House, demolished in 1958. Kailzie was built in 1803 for Robert Nutter Campbell, a Glasgow merchant. It was described as a "very elegant 2-storey and basement mansion of moderate size with a bowed garden front". All that remains of the house is a small building (listed separately) that was formerly part of the courtyard buildings and a pond now marks the spot of the main house. The stables, lodges and walled garden are listed separately. This is the former mill for the Kailzie Estate. The mill is situated on the north side of the B7062 and the miller's house opposite to the south. The mill was built at the same time as the Campbell mansion, the house a little later. The front elevation of the Miller's house is stylistically similar to the farmhouse at Kailzie Home Farm, as well as some outhouses remaining on the Kailzie estate. The mill complex was part of a group of associated buildings sited just outside the inner designed landscape of the estate. Most of the machinery has been dismantled but a wheel (from elsewhere) is sited at the west-end of the building. The inscribed panel on the south elevation is initialled RNC (for Robert Nutter Campbell) and SM (which maybe a reference to Scots Mill). Across the road, the dwelling house is dated 1812 and may be mentioned as a good example of "pattern-book Gothic" (listed separately). Originally, the corn mill building (comprising of the described granary and kiln) stood alone at the W of the site. It was water powered by a mill lade which originated on the Haystoun Burn to the west near Whitehaugh. A weir later replaced the caul and a new sluice fed the same lade. Part of the mill lade can still be seen to the south of the road. The mill site grew, with large associated buildings appearing to the east of the earlier mill. These still stand and are also being converted to residential accommodation. Listed as a good example of an estate corn mill, which retains original features such as the kiln and granary sections.
Other nearby listed buildings