This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.601 / 55°36'3"N
Longitude: -3.064 / 3°3'50"W
OS Eastings: 333054
OS Northings: 634662
OS Grid: NT330346
Mapcode National: GBR 731P.F1
Mapcode Global: WH6VD.XH32
Entry Name: Traquair Village, War Memorial
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349042
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15434
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale East
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
1920. 1914 ? 1918 rustic cross war memorial on boulder base within cobbled area with railing enclosure. Rusticated sandstone shaft and cross with polished angle margins; rock-faced granite base. Enclosure comprising painted wrought-iron railings with triple thistle finials to corners and gate.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: rough hewn 2-section cross and shaft: carved central boss with cross and moulded surround; lateral arms inscribed LEST WE FORGET; shaft inscribed with names of the dead. Large boulder base with additional small sloped stone to centre. Rectangular railing enclosure with gate to right.
Sited in a prominent position at the crossroads in the village of Traquair (B7062). It was dedicated on the 28th of August, 1920 by the Rev. Dr Wallace Williamson, C.V.O. of St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh. Lord Glenconner and the Rev. J. Main, the then parish minister, also participated in the ceremony. The memorial contains the names of 17 officers and men who died in the First World War. They were local men who had enlisted to fight in the Royal Scots (the Lothians and Peeblesshire's own special regiment, which saw action in France then in occupying the Rhine territory) and other Scottish regiments.
Other nearby listed buildings