History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirk House (Former Parish Kirk), Former Session House, Enclosing Wall and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in East Neuk and Landward, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2196 / 56°13'10"N

Longitude: -2.8919 / 2°53'31"W

OS Eastings: 344784

OS Northings: 703360

OS Grid: NO447033

Mapcode National: GBR 2M.D479

Mapcode Global: WH7SJ.KX3V

Entry Name: Kirk House (Former Parish Kirk), Former Session House, Enclosing Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 1 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349143

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15507

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Newburn

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward

Parish: Newburn

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Kirkton of Largo

Description

Alexander Leslie of Largo, Architect. Built 1814-15; converted to dwelling house 1970, L A Rolland & Partners of Leven, architects. Simple rectangular-plan Gothic church, with 2-stage square tower to east. Whin

rubble, with yellow ashlar long and short dressings: upper stage of tower is ashlar; pointed and hood-moulded belfry opening to each face, corbelled and crenellated parapet and faceted spire. Symmetrical south elevation: glazed former doors to outer bays, low centrally placed piend-roofed projecting vestry, below 2 blind quatrefoil panels and

flanked by 2 tall windows: all openings pointed-headed and hood-moulded with intersecting tracery. Piended slate roof with single central stack. North elevation: symmetry lost by insertion of 1 door and window,

pointed window with intersecting tracery to each outer bay group of

4 symmetrical centre windows to ground and former gallery. Slated roof. Flat-roofed, square-plan detached former session house to west is whin rubble with yellow ashlar dressings; door to east elevation. Ashlar capping blocks imitate crenellations. Enclosed by rubble-built wall with square, droved ashlar gatepiers.

Statement of Interest

Advertisement for rebuilding parish church in Edinburgh Courant Nov 11, 1813. Congregation united with Largo 1958; building sold by Trustees of Church of Scotland, 1965.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.