This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2824 / 56°16'56"N
Longitude: -3.2669 / 3°16'0"W
OS Eastings: 321663
OS Northings: 710712
OS Grid: NO216107
Mapcode National: GBR 25.840X
Mapcode Global: WH6R0.SCJ6
Entry Name: South Lodge, Pitlour House, Strathmiglo
Listing Date: 17 October 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349454
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15767
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1820-1830; later 19th century addition to rear; further 20th century alterations. Single storey, roughly L-plan, 2-bay Greek Revival lodge with distinctive shallow bow window with Doric colonettes to main elevation (the centre intercolumniation segmentally arched), tetrastyle Doric portico, shallow canted bay with Doric colonettes to south elevation, low pitched roof, deep eaves with bargeboards. Red ashlar sandstone, rear extension rendered. Located at south entrance to estate. Base course, eaves course, blocking course.
Lying pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; ashlar stack with simple cope and yellow clay cans; grey slates with lead roofs to bays.
An elegant and largely unaltered early 19th century lodge which retains its characteristic lying-pane glazing and fine exterior detailing. Greek Revival style lodges are relatively rare in Scotland and are generally found where the architect of the main house has also designed the ancillary buildings but is not the case for this building, further emphasising its importance. The simple late 19th century extension is positioned discreetly so that it does not affect the original profile of the lodge. It is a strong presence on the A91 the main road between Milnathort and Cupar at the south entrance to Pitlour and is an important component of the estate, reflecting its evolving history.
The lodge was clearly designed by an architect of considerable skill and originality though as yet no architect has been revealed through documentary sources. It has been suggested that the quality of this lodge is such that an architect of the stature of Thomas Hamilton who was adept at designing in the Greek revival style may be responsible for the design. The details such as the gentle arch over the two central windows of the bow and its ogee roof are of considerable quality and point to an architect of some skill as does the handling of the portico where the Greek details are carefully managed (e.g. gentle entasis in the columns).
It is likely that the lodge was built at the same time as new approaches to the estate were being formed, in 1825-26 and in 1828 by Alexander Martin, surveyor, Cupar. Until the 1870s all visitors would pass this lodge on their way into the estate.
The lodge was already in use before 1841 when William Stevenson, gamekeeper, was living there. A succession of gamekeepers lived in the lodge until the 1880s when the estate foresters were accommodated in it. In 1861 William Rutherford, gamekeeper, and his family were living in the house. Rutherford had five sons and one daughter and it seems likely that the rear extension was added to give them extra living space. The glazing pattern in the windows of the rear extension suggests a rather later date, though it may have been reglazed at this later time.
Listed building record and statutory address updated, 2014.
Other nearby listed buildings