This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2874 / 56°17'14"N
Longitude: -3.2776 / 3°16'39"W
OS Eastings: 321007
OS Northings: 711286
OS Grid: NO210112
Mapcode National: GBR 25.7TWH
Mapcode Global: WH6R0.M7FB
Entry Name: Stables, Pitlour House, Strathmiglo
Listing Date: 17 October 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349475
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15788
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Possibly Robert Mylne with George Paterson, circa 1767-75; alterations William Simson (mason), circa 1827; further alterations 21st century. Single and 2-storey courtyard-plan classical stable block with distinctive doocot tower with ogival roof over basket-arched pend in E range and raised pyramidal-roofed corner pavilions to south range; three Venetian doors to south elevation of south range. Situated on rising ground to north east of Pitlour House. Mainly harled sandstone rubble with polished ashlar rusticated quoins to south and west ranges.
Grey slates. Squared rubble stacks with ashlar copes and clay cans.
A fine mid to late-18th century stable block with good classical detailing which makes a strong visual contribution to the Pitlour estate policies. The stable block incorporates a doocot which is remarkable for its large size. It also incorporates an unusual stone henhouse with stone nesting boxes with curved rear walls.
The detailing of the stable block indicates a knowledge of contemporary architectural fashion which accords with the designer being an architect of some standing. Although there is no documentary evidence to support the attribution to Robert Mylne working with George Paterson on this building, the suggestion is based on a close association between the two architects and similarities of details to other work by them.
There is various evidence for George Paterson and Robert Mylne's association as Paterson superintended the building of St Cecilia's Hall on Mylne's behalf in 1761-3. Moreover Paterson and Mylne both worked at Amisfield in 1766 for Francis Charteris, 7th Earl of Wemyss. Stylistically there are links with similar buildings by Mylne (for example in the stables at Inveraray and in some details at Pitlour House) and by Paterson (for example at the stables at Cambo House.) Documentary sources prove the latter were designed by George Paterson in the 1760s for Francis Charteris, later 7th Earl of Wemyss of Gosford (he owned Cambo from 1759-87). Paterson himself owned a small estate, Cunnochie, in Fife which is close to Strathmiglo and, of his known work, seven jobs were in Fife.
Robert Mylne (1733-1811), one of the foremost architects and engineers of the late 18th/early 19th century in Britain, undertook a large number of country house commissions. Only a few were in Scotland and of these, some have been subsequently altered significantly (e.g. Cally House, Kirkcudbrightshire) or the work involved additions to existing houses (e.g.Amisfield, East Lothian).
George Paterson (d.1789) achieved some fame during his lifetime building up a client base in southern Scotland, working for the 8th Earl of Dalhousie, the 3rd Earl of Bute and 7th Viscount Stormont to name but a few. He had the reputation of being 'the most reasonable and least expensive architect in this country'.
A number of alterations were subsequently made to the stable block, probably in the 1820s, including an extension to the east end of the south front though this has subsequently been removed. Records show that the substantial sum of £150 was expended on alterations at that date.
Listed building record and statutory address updated, 2014.
Other nearby listed buildings