History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchintoul with Courtyard Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Marnoch, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5557 / 57°33'20"N

Longitude: -2.6484 / 2°38'54"W

OS Eastings: 361297

OS Northings: 851922

OS Grid: NJ612519

Mapcode National: GBR M8TR.HGL

Mapcode Global: WH8MD.9C31

Entry Name: Auchintoul with Courtyard Walls

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349738

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16030

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Marnoch

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Parish: Marnoch

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Aberchirder

Description

Late 16th century towerhouse, with 1711-12, 3-storey, 4-bay, L-plan addition to E. Greatly altered, little of earlier house remains (see notes). Harled rubble with ashlar dressings.

E ELEVATION: 4-bay frontage; 4 windows to each floor, taller at principal floor, breaking eaves at 2nd floor in piended dormerheads.

N ELEVATION: enlarged doorway at ground floor, courtyard curtain wall adjoining to right with arched pend.

S ELEVATION: 2-bay, 2 windows to each floor, breaking eaves at 2nd floor as above.

W ELEVATION: lean-to addition at ground, 17th century stair tower with conical roof adjoining, to S, later gable end to right. Courtyard with former barmkin walls, and remains of earlier house incorporating cellar, spiral stair and fireplaces. Currently ruinous.

INTERIOR: gutted.

Currently without window fittings. Re-roofed with graded grey slates, ashlar coped skews, moulded skewputts, coped ashlar stacks.

Statement of Interest

A 16th century towerhouse, Auchintoul was a Gordon Family stronghold. General Alexander Gordon built the E wing in 1711-12 on his return from Military Service in Russia. His nephew Alexander Gordon, founded the village of Aberchirder to the E. (See Aberchirder Burgh). The estate passed out of the Gordon Family in 1801. Since when it has changed hands several times. The house was gutted by fire in the 1970s; much of the fabric was rendered unsafe and demolished. Restoration, consolidating what remains is currently in progress (1989). The fine quadrangular steading, Auchintoul Mains. Farmhouse, Mill and Smithy, Walled Garden and Auchintoul South Lodge are all listed separately. The East Lodge to Aberchirder appearing on some maps has been demolished.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.