History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cairnbulg Castle

A Category A Listed Building in Rathen, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6656 / 57°39'56"N

Longitude: -1.9734 / 1°58'24"W

OS Eastings: 401686

OS Northings: 863964

OS Grid: NK016639

Mapcode National: GBR P8HG.DM2

Mapcode Global: WH9N8.NLHC

Entry Name: Cairnbulg Castle

Listing Date: 16 April 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 349858

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16143

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Rathen

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Fraserburgh and District

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Fraserburgh

Description

Originally: large square tower with corbelled parapet and
angle rounds 41' x 29'8" ground floor perhaps mid 13th
century, 14th century at latest; upper floors 15th century.
Ground and 1st floors vaulted, boulder rubble, original
staircase in thickness of wall, with meurtriere feature at
foot, upper parts now infilled. Smaller circular tower to
S.W. with set back upper floor 1545, made parts of Z-plan
arrangement later in century by linking wing, jamb with
turnpike stair to link with original tower added at same
date. Abandoned 1799, central part of linking building
demolished. Towers restored, courtyard wall demolished and
link building reconstructed (wider on S. than originally)
Jenkins and Marr 1896-7 for Sir John Duthie. Harled with
margins and dressings, sandstone or local heathen stone at
original work, granite at later work. Design of 1st floor S.
windows modified, internal alterations 1966 and some chimney
pieces from Tarbat House inserted.

Statement of Interest

for original keep. Originally Philorth belonged to the

Comyns, confiscated 1306, given by Bruce to John Ross, son of

Earl of Ross to Sir Alexander Fraser of Cowie 1375; 1615 sold

to Robert Fraser of Durris renamed Cairnbulg. Sold to Col.

Buchan of Auchmacoy early 18th century and in 1739 to Alex

Aberdein; 1775 to Earl of Aberdeen; bequeathed to Gordon of

Cairbulg (See Mormond) 1801 Sold to Duthies 1862, repurchased

by the present Lord Saltoun 1934.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.