This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2122 / 56°12'43"N
Longitude: -3.1358 / 3°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 329648
OS Northings: 702757
OS Grid: NO296027
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.DPGB
Mapcode Global: WH6RG.S4Y0
Entry Name: Newton Farmhouse with Outbuilding and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350449
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16663
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
James Barclay, 1816. Single storey, 5 bay, U plan, piended house. Dressed ashlar and squared and snecked rubble. Eaves course. Stone mullion.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Deep set panelled timber door with diamond astragalled fanlight at centre with flanking narrow windows, all recessed under narrow canopy with 2 rusticated pillars; further windows in outer bays.
SE ELEVATION: symmetrical 3 bays to left with lower, recessed bay to outer right. 3 part bow window with conical roof at centre, windows in flanking bays; window to outer right.
NE ELEVATION: 3 bay. Bipartite window at centre, slightly advanced bay to right with small modern window at centre and advanced bay to left with timber door to right, modern window to left and wall with pedestrian gate abutting to outer left, on return to right.
NW ELEVATION: window at centre and in bay to left of centre.
12 and 14 lying pane glazing patterns to SE and SW; 6 pane glazing pattern to NE centre, 6 pane horizontal glazing pattern to NW right and 2 pane horizontal over 8 pane to left, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans, some polygonal.
INTERIOR: plain cornicing.
OUTBUILDING AND BOUNDARY WALL: former dairy/laundry(?). Piend roofed, slated rubble outbuilding with droved quoins, door and window to NW, adjoining wall to NE. Semicircular coped rubble boundary wall. Stack.
James Barclay was employed as mason at Balbirnie House during the 1815 alterations by Richard Crichton. 1st OS shows large courtyard steading to N of farmhouse, little evidence of which remains. Listed in 1875 as the property of John Balfour of Balbirnie, Newton is still part of the Balbirnie Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings