This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1399 / 56°8'23"N
Longitude: -3.0862 / 3°5'10"W
OS Eastings: 332598
OS Northings: 694658
OS Grid: NT325946
Mapcode National: GBR 2D.K2MK
Mapcode Global: WH6RP.KXLZ
Entry Name: West Wemyss, Main Street, Tolbooth
Listing Date: 11 December 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350485
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16694
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Buckhaven, Methil and Wemyss Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Early 18th century possibly incorporating earlier fabric. 2-storey 3-bay tolbooth with narrow clock tower and pend in regular terrace. Harled rubble with stone margins to 1st floor.
NW (MAIN STREET) ELEVATION: tower (see below) projecting to centre bay with broad segmentally-arched pend (see Notes) to right and forestair to left of centre at ground; windows to outer bays at 1st floor.
TOWER: 5-stage, square-plan tower. NW elevation with chamfered angle to right and forestair abutting to left; 2 carved panels high up at 1st stage, lower panel with arms and initials of David, Earl of Wemyss (1705-1720), upper panel with coronet and inscription said to have read: THIS FABRIC WAS BUILT BY EARL DAVID/WEMYSS AND TOWN/FOR THE CRIBBING OF VICE AND SERVICE TO/CROWN; boarded timber door on return to left. 2nd stage with arrowslit to NW; 3rd stage with arrowslit to each elevation; 4th stage with clock face to each elevation and 5th stage as 3rd but with wider openings giving way to lead/copper splay-foot spire with swan weathervane.
Blinded windows. Clay pantiles. Harled stacks with cans and ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: 2nd floor now single room (formerly partitioned) with 18th century style decorated plaster ceiling; 2 fireplaces to E; roof rebuilt.
Property of Wemyss Properties Ltd. West Wemyss was erected a burgh of barony in 1525, and the tolbooth first mentioned in 1586, although its exact site is unknown. The present tolbooth was built by David 3rd Earl of Wemyss, it had cells at ground floor with entrances (now sealed) in the pend. The tower was converted from a pigeon loft to clock tower in 1901; in 1974 it was renovated and the slated roof replaced with fibre glass and stainless steel covered with copper.
De-scheduled 15 November 1999.
Other nearby listed buildings