This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6995 / 54°41'58"N
Longitude: -4.3627 / 4°21'45"W
OS Eastings: 247843
OS Northings: 536397
OS Grid: NX478363
Mapcode National: GBR HJL8.Y3R
Mapcode Global: WH3VT.Y4QL
Entry Name: Isle of Whithorn, Isle Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 20 July 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350518
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16722
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Built 1844, former UF church, now Church of Scotland. Simple rectangular hall church with twin gabled lower bays to W, bird cage bellcote to E gable. Painted rubble with raised painted margins.
Gabled porch to E gable with simple pointed-arch window, 3 lancets to flanks, all with small pane, Y-tracery glazing. To W gable wall twin projecting gabled bays (vestry) with finials to gable apexes. End skews, ashlar bell cloche to E with bell, slate roofs. Surrounding the church, low rubble wall supporting cast-iron railings, gates to E.
Interior: simple, painted walls, flat ceiling, boarded dado. Body of the church dominated by pews, side aisles. Dignified timber pulpit, lectern, communion table and priest's chair.
Church dramatically sited on raised foundations projecting into harbour, at high tide surrounded by water. Described in Groome's GAZETTEER "as a neat Free Church".
Other nearby listed buildings