This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8865 / 54°53'11"N
Longitude: -4.8865 / 4°53'11"W
OS Eastings: 214950
OS Northings: 558450
OS Grid: NX149584
Mapcode National: GBR GH9S.QFV
Mapcode Global: WH2SG.XF8T
Entry Name: Dunragit, the Kennels
Listing Date: 3 August 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 350574
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16767
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Old Luce
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West
Parish: Old Luce
Traditional County: Wigtownshire
Post 1875. Former gamekeeper's house and kennels. Squared and
snecked whinstone rubble. Red sandstone ashlar dressings. Stop-chamfered ashlar margins. Bull-faced quoins with margin drafts. Overhanging eaves, exposed rafters.
FORMER GAMEKEEPER'S HOUSE: situated to S. Former gun room to N is later addition in very similar style.
W ELEVATION: 4-bay; bay to left later. Gabled open timber porch in bay to right of centre; segmental-arched door-way; modern door; low cement clad brick walls to porch. Gabled bay advanced to left of centre; canted window with half-piend roof. Window in bays to left and right.
N ELEVATION: blocked doorway slightly to right of centre.
E ELEVATION: window in cat-slide bay to left. Cat-slide bay to right;
2 windows to right. Modern harled gabled extension at centre. Top-hopper glazing. Ashlar-dressed coped stacks, gablehead to N and S, ridge between bays to left and left of centre. Small grey slates. KENNELS: similarly-detailed T-plan kennels. Ashlar-dressed ridge stack to jamb. Small grey slates. 2-penned enclosure to W, with semicircular-coping to ashlar-dressed wall, and hooped iron fence. W ELEVATION: 3-bay (1-2). Doorway to each bay, boarded to right. E ELEVATION: jamb adjoined at centre; door to right and window to left to E gable; door to S return.
S ELEVATION: gabled to left, with door to left. Jamb recessed to right. N ELEVATION: gabled to right. Jamb recessed to left. Former pig-sty to E. Similarly detailed. Enclosure to W. Original gabled roof now removed. Rubble gabled byre to N, now converted to further kennels.
The Kennels are not shown on the "Plan of the Estate of Dunragit" (1875).
The former gamekeeper:s house is now known as The Kennels; the kennels are still used as such by Dunragit Animal Welfare Centre (1991).