History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Airds of Parton House, and Stables

A Category B Listed Building in Parton, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0141 / 55°0'50"N

Longitude: -4.0593 / 4°3'33"W

OS Eastings: 268419

OS Northings: 570778

OS Grid: NX684707

Mapcode National: GBR 0B2G.ZC

Mapcode Global: WH4VK.M76G

Entry Name: Airds of Parton House, and Stables

Listing Date: 23 April 1990

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 350942

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17089

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Parton

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford

Parish: Parton

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Parton

Description

Peddie and Kinnear, architects, 1884. Some demolition and

alteration to rear service court. Large asymmetrical gabled

villa, 2 storeys and attic; squared whinstone, polished cream

ashlar dressings.

Entrance front: 3-bay full-height section, lower 2-storey

service wing to right, 3 main bays with Scots Renaissance

doorway to left, double-leaf panelled doors. Panel over

door dated 1884, bipartite window above. Centre bay lower and

recessed, 4-light window to ground, tripartite above. Right

bay with canted window to ground, tripartite above.

Garden elevation: 3-bay with 2 full-height Bryce-derived

canted windows with projecting jerkin headed gables. All

windows mullioned, transomed to ground. Sash and case with

plate glass glazing. Corbelled string course over ground

floor level. Steep gabled bargeboarded bracketted eaves, tall

brick stacks, some partially cut down. Steeply pitched gabled

roofs with modern red tiles (originally red tile). Rear

service court partially demolished, conservatory built on

site reusing original stonework for basecourses.

Good interior retaining most original panelling,

chimneypieces, plasterwork etc.

Stables (NX 68492 70878): long single storey and attic range, whinstone

walling with cream ashlar dressings. Off-centre depressed

arch pend giving access to stables, carriage houses to right.

All ground floor windows single light, to 1st bipartite, all

sash and case with multi-pane glazing. Recently re-roofed in

red tiles (originally red clay tiles), brick axial stacks.

Statement of Interest

B group with Airds of Parton Lodge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.