This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0761 / 55°4'33"N
Longitude: -3.6767 / 3°40'36"W
OS Eastings: 293048
OS Northings: 577020
OS Grid: NX930770
Mapcode National: GBR 29RR.T5
Mapcode Global: WH5WH.HNFZ
Plus Code: 9C7R38GF+C8
Entry Name: Terregles Church
Listing Name: Terregles Parish Church and Queir and Churchyard
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 351086
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17209
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
1573 Queir (choir) now burial vault and RC chapel adjoining
plain, circa 1800 church; latter occupies approximate site of
Queir (renovated 1875, James Barbour and J Halliday of
rubble-built, red ashlar dressings; 2 bays; 3-sided east end
has roll-moulded pointed windows with intersecting tracery,
datestone and crests; angle shafts with cable moulding to
capitals and to pinnacles: buttresses added 1875: small
lights either long wall; round-headed doorway at westend of
south wall in roll-moulded architrave, hood-mould with
dog-tooth ornament: door has ornate (1875) cast-iron panels,
and datestone above, re-used cross-slab forms threshold.
Slate roof with fish-scale bands, ornamental ridges and apex
Interior (mostly 1875): good late 17th century Classical
monument beside door; figure of resurrection by J Birnie
Philip (signed: apparently assisted by Signor Fucigni) above
central crypt: parapets to latter, altar rails and altar all
white ashlar, (altar on 2 squat, red granite columns with
foliated capitals) with gothic detailing; leaded windows;
Parish Church: rectangular-plan with round-headed windows;
squared red rubble with polished margins. Small vestry to
south, ball-finialed birdcage belfry over west gable: windows
on north wall inserted and west porch added circa 1890.
Roofed with graded slates; red ridging tiles; ball finial at
Interior (remodelled 1900-1902 by James Barbour): decorative
roof timbers with cusping and billet moulding;
gallery with panelled front on corbels asymmetrically swept
behind window reveals; World War 2 memorial window on north
wall; pews with panelled backs.
Churchyard includes some interesting 17th-19th century
headstones: quadrangular enclosure, rubble-built walls; gate
at north (between two buildings).
Parish church in ecclesiastical use. Queir now disused.
Estimate in SRO dated 1799 for building church suggests circa
180<> as date of construction.
Queir formally re-opened 14.11.1879, to coincide with
re-opening of St Andrews, Dumfries, and it was used by
Maxwells of Terregles for RC services.
The sedilia used in the 1879 re-opening came from Lincluden
They are now in the National Museum of Antiquities, Edinburgh.
Other nearby listed buildings