This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1383 / 55°8'17"N
Longitude: -3.5827 / 3°34'57"W
OS Eastings: 299203
OS Northings: 583800
OS Grid: NX992838
Mapcode National: GBR 39F0.4W
Mapcode Global: WH5WB.Y33R
Entry Name: Amisfield Tower
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 351119
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17233
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Lochar
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
1600 panel probably dates re-modelling of existing (? 16th
century) tower house. Rectangular-plan; 4 storeys with attics
and garrets above. Rubble-built, with red ashlar dressings.
Circular stair turret corbelled above ground level on south
east angle, corbelled at 3rd floor to ashlar-built 3-storey
gabled tower with rope-moulded apex stack and skews, dormers
to flanks; gabled rectangular cap house above, set astride
gable head. Ashlar-built 2-storey turrets corbelled over
remaining angles, with curved semi-conical roofs.
Roll-moulded off-centre door on south wall, windows above
have nail-head decoration; 2nd floor window flanked by
plaques; single, corbelled dormer with decorative jambs and
shaped gable head; chequer-corbelled eaves. All larger
openings below relieving arches. Gunports. Crow-stepped west
gable (hollowed steps) and apex stack with rope moulding;
Interior: guard room(?) and vaulted chamber with cobbled
floor at ground level, L-shaped chambers above (to
accommodate stair); fireplace with shafted jambs on west wall
of 1st and 2nd floor chambers; stone-flagged floor in former,
original painted frieze in latter; ceiling joists on stone
corbels. Attic and garrets no longer floored.
Incorporated in south west angle of walled garden (listed
Not occupied but well maintained and virtually unaltered. The original wooden door, dated 1600, and bearing a representation of Samson slaying the Lion, is in the National Museum of Antiquities, Edinburgh (illus in INVENTORY). The plaques above the door are dated 1600, and bear initials and arms of John Charteris of Amisfield and of Agnes Maxwell his wife. Some interesting graffiti especially on 1st floor east window ingoes, dating from 17th century.
Other nearby listed buildings