History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Temple Village, 29 Main Street

A Category C Listed Building in Temple, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8157 / 55°48'56"N

Longitude: -3.0913 / 3°5'28"W

OS Eastings: 331710

OS Northings: 658582

OS Grid: NT317585

Mapcode National: GBR 61V6.J2

Mapcode Global: WH6TF.H25Z

Entry Name: Temple Village, 29 Main Street

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 352203

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18193

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Temple

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian South

Parish: Temple

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Gorebridge

Description

Later 18th century. Single storey and attic, 3 bay, rectangular plan traditional cottage, with later additions and alterations. Tooled, coursed sandstone with droved dressings. Gabled timber dormers with terracotta finials.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; replacement window (formerly doorway) to centre of ground floor; window to each flanking bay. Dormer to left and right bays of attic floor.

S ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.

E ELEVATION: not seen 1998.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; harled; single window off centre to right of attic floor.

Predominantly 4 pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge; stone skews. Coped harled and cement faced gablehead stacks, circular cans to stack to S. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Statement of Interest

The Main Street of Temple Village ascends from the banks of the River South Esk on both sides of the road. The village takes its name from the Knights Templar whose headquarters it was from the early 12th century. However, before it took on its present name in 1570 it was called Balintrode or Balantrodach. The Order of the Temple was founded to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land. The Knights were given land in England and Scotland as a reward. In 1312 the Order was suppressed, and the lands were given to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. The Knights of St John were funded by the residents of Temple who gave them one tenth of their income.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.