This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5138 / 55°30'49"N
Longitude: -4.4865 / 4°29'11"W
OS Eastings: 243094
OS Northings: 627262
OS Grid: NS430272
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.TM61
Mapcode Global: WH3QQ.1NVW
Entry Name: Tarbolton, Burns Street, Former Town House and Adjoining Building
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352229
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18211
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1832 Town House and adjoining early 19th century former house (now forming one building).
TOWN HOUSE: 2-storey, roughly 3-bay, piend-roofed block with stone forestair to N (side) elevation. Squared, coursed sandstone with raised sandstone ashlar dressings to principal (W) elevation. Eaves course. Front door to left of principal elevation; 2 ground-floor windows unevenly placed flanking former segmental-arched opening (now filled in); 3 first-floor windows evenly spaced with date panel beneath central cill. Rear (E) elevation with three small evenly spaced openings at first floor.
ADJOINING BUILDING: 2-storey, 3-bay, gabled block with 20th century garage entrance to S (side) elevation and later blocked-in brick forestair to rear (E). Symmetrical principal elevation with central flat-arched doorway. Squared, coursed red sandstone with raised red sandstone ashlar dressings to principal (W) elevation; whitewashed side elevation. Eaves course.
Predominantly 8-pane glazing in fixed timber windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Squat ashlar stacks. Grey slate.
Two early buildings situated prominently at the heart of Tarbolton and of significance to the history of the town. The 3rd Statistical Account (1951) mentions 'the unimposing Town House, a relic of the burgh of barony created by Charles II, where the annual New Year meeting of the 'Town Council' is still held'. Although the original function of the adjoining building is not known, it is designated 'School' on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1854-9), and the construction of the Town House attached to it suggests that it must have been in civic use by 1832. Its long, low proportions and stonework suggest an early 19th century date. The windows of both buildings are largely boarded up.
Other nearby listed buildings