This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8598 / 55°51'35"N
Longitude: -5.1122 / 5°6'43"W
OS Eastings: 205324
OS Northings: 667337
OS Grid: NS053673
Mapcode National: GBR FFR7.32V
Mapcode Global: WH1LD.FZV5
Entry Name: St Colmac's Church Including Graveyard, Boundary Wall, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352318
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18283
Building Class: Cultural
Location: North Bute
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Isle of Bute
Parish: North Bute
Traditional County: Buteshire
Probably Paterson, Largs, dated 1835. Symmetrical 2-stage, 3- by 3-bay plain gothic style church with 3-stage square-plan belfry tower centred in 'nave-and-aisles' gable to E. Harl-pointed rubble sandstone; pink sandstone dressings; coursed sandstone ashlar tower. Raised base course; moulded string course to tower; corniced eaves; polished blocking course. Narrow strip quoins; droved pink rubble sandstone quoins; droved pink rubble long and short surrounds to polished, pointed-arched openings; chamfered reveals; chamfered cills; sandstone mullions; architraved hoodmoulds.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced tower at centre comprising 2-leaf timber panelled door at ground; timber panelled fanlight set in pointed-arch surround; large, Y-traceried window aligned above. Gableted pinnacles surmounting 2nd stage cornice to outer left and right; small louvred opening centred in upper stage. Single windows recessed at ground flanking entrance.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: Y-traceried windows in all 3 bays.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: Y-traceried windows in all 3 bays.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: large, Y-traceried window centred beneath apex; carved figurative stops to hoodmould. Small, blind opening dated "1835" above; surmounting crucifix finial. Boarded, Tudor-arched openings at ground in bays flanking centre.
Predominantly opaque glazing (part missing). Original stained glass window to W. Roof missing; replacement rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: various headstones in surrounding graveyard. Rubble coping to random rubble wall enclosing site. Stop-chamfered, square-plan ashlar piers flanking entrance; moulded cornices; pyramidal caps; wrought-iron vehicular access gates.
Derelict, empty and roofless 1996. Photographs held in the NMRS show an unusual interior arrangement with a full length common communion table running E-W down the centre of the church flanked by timber pews. Box pews, facing W lined the side aisles. According to the SVBWG Handbook, the unusual communion table was formed, when necessary, by the conversion of pew ends. The photographs also show a timber panelled gallery situated to the E and a timber panelled pulpit to the W. Despite the church's state of disrepair, the graveyard, boundary walls, gatepiers and gates remain remarkably intact. The building of both the church and the nearby manse (not listed) is thought to have been by Paterson of Largs to a cost of ?6,000.
Other nearby listed buildings