This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4207 / 56°25'14"N
Longitude: -3.4019 / 3°24'6"W
OS Eastings: 313616
OS Northings: 726268
OS Grid: NO136262
Mapcode National: GBR V7.BKLQ
Mapcode Global: WH6Q5.QW76
Entry Name: New Scone, Abbey Road, Robert Douglas Memorial Institute (Former School) and 22 Mansfield Road
Listing Date: 9 June 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352407
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18365
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathmore
Traditional County: Perthshire
Large single-storey gothic former school (now community facility), dated 1876. Extended to and incorporating earlier school of 1846. Contemporary single-storey with attic S-facing schoolhouse adjoining earlier school, facing Mansfield Road.
Snecked and tooled sandstone, ashlar detailing. Well lit by tripartite, bipartite and single windows some with stone mullions, varied glazing including 8-pane timber sash and case windows and 4-pane timber sash and case windows with bottom hinged top hoppers. Some windows in house replaced by upvc windows; attic windows with cusped bargeboards.
Porch in SW angle of school with cusped bargeboards and dated clock within arched recess; fleche above.Quatrefoil windows in gables. Pitched slate roof to house and school, cusped and triangular roof vents in school. Stone stacks. Rubble wall and modern railings to boundary.
The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows the schoolhouse with rear rectangular-plan school adjoining. After the 1872 Education Act, which made education universal and compulsory, the school was extended with a large T-shaped Board School addition to the N, to cater for the increased school population. The school was gifted to New Scone by Robert Douglas (1859-1929).
David's father founded the Scone Jam Factory, his son Robert moved to America where he discovered fruit pectin and became President of the Certo Corporation. Robert set up a foundation trust for his native town for charitable and educational purposes [Haynes]. The building is now run as a community facility by the Robert Douglas Memorial Trust.
Other nearby listed buildings