History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tongue Parish Church (C of S ), Burial Ground and Gatepiers

A Category A Listed Building in Tongue, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.4787 / 58°28'43"N

Longitude: -4.4186 / 4°25'6"W

OS Eastings: 259065

OS Northings: 957031

OS Grid: NC590570

Mapcode National: GBR H6G9.W7L

Mapcode Global: WH38F.3550

Entry Name: Tongue Parish Church (C of S ), Burial Ground and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 18 March 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 352503

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18456

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Tongue

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland

Parish: Tongue

Traditional County: Sutherland

Find accommodation in
Tongue

Description

Dated 1680; earlier core probably incorporating medieval chapel. Further additions and re-building in 1729/31, 1778 and 1862. Simple white harled cruciform church, with ashlar dressings. Earliest portion and original core runs east-west, with centre pointed-headed entrance in south elevation. Flat headed entrance with window above in centre of west gable approached by flight of steps leading to Laird's loft. Long wings at N and S, that to south with simple moulded doorpiece dated 1680 (to Minister's room). Single small pointed headed window in south gable and in north and south elevations of main body of church. 2 long

rectangular windows light east gable. Plain flat-headed doorway gives access to north wing, now serving as parish room. Lattice glazing. 19th century bellcote at west gable apex; cavetto skewputts; crowsteps; West Highland slate roof; stone ridge.

Interior; simple interior orientated to east; small gallery to west, (former Laird's Loft), with 18th century panelled front.

Burial ground and gate piers; rubble walls with dressed with simple stepped caps and pair cast-iron gates.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Church said to have been re-built in 1680 by Donald MacKay, Master of Reay on site of St Peter's Chapel (Teampull Pheader). Laird's Loft canopy, of Mackay Lords of Reay, in National Museum of Antiquities since 1951. Reay burial vault below gallery.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.