This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6571 / 55°39'25"N
Longitude: -4.6001 / 4°36'0"W
OS Eastings: 236517
OS Northings: 643461
OS Grid: NS365434
Mapcode National: GBR 3B.JRB6
Mapcode Global: WH3Q2.92QJ
Entry Name: Girgenti Cottage
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352542
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18488
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early 19th century, with later extension to NE. Single-storey, now T-plan lodge with distinctive deeply overhanging eaves supported by single cast iron columns forming corner verandahs. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar margins. Wide canted bay window to W.
Non-traditional 4-pane, top-opening windows. Shallow, part-piended roof with 5 sections over bay window. Grey slates. Red brick ridge stack.
Comprising distinctive cast iron columns and corner verandahs, this lodge now marks the entrance to Girgenti Farm (listed separately). It forms one of a pair of lodges which were built originally for the now-demolished Girgenti House. Map evidence suggests that the lodge was originally square-plan, with verandahs at each corner, each supported by a single cast iron column. The shallow roof is distinctive and the unusual design marks this lodge out as a building of special interest.
The land here, together with an existing farm called Muirhead, was acquired in the late 1820s by an army Captain, John Cheape. Cheape built a new house on the site and renamed the house and farm Girgenti after a town in Sicily of which he was particularly fond. The house was described in the New Statistical Account as being "built in rather an uncommon style" and it was demolished in the 1940s. The lodges were probably built around the same time as the house. Cheape live in the house from 1829 until his death in 1850.
List description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings