This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6711 / 55°40'15"N
Longitude: -4.57 / 4°34'11"W
OS Eastings: 238469
OS Northings: 644946
OS Grid: NS384449
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.HL6G
Mapcode Global: WH3PW.SQ0C
Entry Name: Kennox House, Including Gatepiers and Gates and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352544
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18490
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Predominantly mid 18th century in origin with substantial early 19th century additions and alterations (see Notes). Symmetrical 2-storey and attic, 3-bay classical house with earlier, lower, 2-storey and attic wing to rear, forming T-plan. Cream painted rubble with raised ashlar margins; raised quoins to wing. Raised basement, band course, eaves course and cornice. Pair of piended dormers.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION TO S: central double fore stair with decorative cast-iron balustrade leads to pedimented and Corinthian pilastered doorpiece with 2-leaf, 6-panel timber doors with segmental glazing pattern semi-circular fanlight above and with 2-leaf, metal diamond-pane internal door. Central Venetian window to 1st floor.
WING TO REAR (N): W elevation: central symmetrical 6-bay house with advanced 2-bay gabled central section and pair of piended roofed dormers. Single storey to N with later glass cupola and date inscribed 1762 to skewputt.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Gablehead stacks. Raised skews.
INTERIOR: original room plan in main house largely extant: other areas largely modified. Some decorative plasterwork, 4-panelled timber doors.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: pair of square-plan painted stone gatepiers. Base course, cornices with graded capstones. Ornamental iron gates. Flanking symmetrical low rubble walls with metal railings and decorative pedestrian gates with fretwork and key patterns and with iron ogee tops. Evidence of possible former gatehouses remaining to E and W.
BOUNDARY WALLS: to S. Tall, coped rubble walls. Sections flanking gates with blind windows and ashlar margins.
This finely detailed small country house with its highly decorative accompanying gates and gatepiers is an excellent example of its type. The principal elevation of the house is finely proportioned and the double staircase with its fine cast iron balustrade and the central Venetian window is testimony to the impression that the house was built by a person of monetary substance. The gatepiers and decorative gates, positioned directly opposite the former Kennox Lodge, now Cottage (see separate listing) form a significant addition to the local streetscape and provide an elegant entrance to the house. The late 18th century rear elevation is little altered to the West and this adds to the significance of the house.
A fuller history of Kennox House is not currently known. It is noted in the 2nd Statistical Account of 1845, that Kennox in owned by a Col S MacAlister and that the house is a modern building worthy of notice. Paterson, in 1852, states that the mansion built circa 1720 still exists but has been extensively extended by his successors. It is difficult to ascertain if there is any of this early 18th century fabric left, as the earliest date on the house in 1762. Col MacAlister was one of the Somerville family who had owned the estate from around the beginning over the 18th century, although at that time it seems to have been known at Crevock. Armstrong's Map of 1775 shows Crevock House, in what is apparently the same location as the current Kennox. The name Kennox (or Kenox) does not appear until the Thomson Map of 1832. The house seems to have been further extended to the East in 1831, as this date appears in a stone on the east side of the house, but the extent of the work is not known. A bathroom extension was built on the east side of the house in 1911 by James A Morris, a major local Ayr architect.
List description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.
House and gatepiers were previously listed separately.