This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7032 / 55°42'11"N
Longitude: -4.484 / 4°29'2"W
OS Eastings: 244007
OS Northings: 648326
OS Grid: NS440483
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.FMRV
Mapcode Global: WH3PR.3X16
Plus Code: 9C7QPG38+7C
Entry Name: Old Glasgow Road, High Williamshaw, Including Outbuilding
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352552
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18496
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1771, extended 1862. Symmetrical 2-storey and attic, crowstepped, 3-bay house with later single-storey wings to rear (N), forming U-plan courtyard. Fusion of classical and traditional detailing. Painted with raised ashlar margins and quoins. Base course, cill course, eaves course. Nepus gable with single window and gablehead stack. Small attic windows to gables.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: to S. Central Venetian doorpiece with key-stoned semicircular arch above and 2-leaf timber panelled entrance door with glazed interior doors. Central 3-bay section with flanking 2-bay single-storey wings with false Venetian windows and initials TLD on door lintel to right.
WINGS TO REAR: single-storey, with slatted timber garage doors, window and door openings.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped gablehead stacks.
OUTBUILDING: to W. Single-story, double-gabled rubble, slated outbuilding with pigeon holes to each gable.
INTERIOR: (seen 2008). Renovated in 1980, keeping largely original room plan and with some original features retained. Horseshoe staircase with timber balusters and banister. Some original simple plaster cornicing.
This distinctive, well-detailed, classical house has fine external features and is an excellent example of a late 18th century gentleman's house. The classical symmetrical proportions are typical of Scottish laird's houses in the late 18th century and the addition of the nepus gable adds to the grandeur and interest of the front façade. The deep space above the upper storey windows identifies the attic space, which is lit, in typical fashion, by small gable windows. The addition of the side wings, forming a U-plan to the rear of the property turned the house into a typical Ayrshire farm plan.
The house was built originally for a Lt Col T L Donaldson who had connections with the Royal Artillery and army and whose initials are seen on the door lintel of the RHS wing. It appears on the 1775 Armstrong Map as Whitlaw. The house was then extended for the family in 1862 with the offices wings. In a bad state of repair in the 1980s, it was comprehensively restored.
List description updated as part of Stewarton resurvey, 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings